CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2009-05 > 1242513702

From: judy olsen <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] Birth registration query
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 23:41:42 +0100

If the certificates were needed for the Old Age Pension you would
expect the increase in late registrations to begin in 1908/9. That
made me wonder if it was to do with proving age as part of the Means
Test.

A bit of googling suggests it was a bit of both - people attempting
to prove that they were NOT entitled to the pension:

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1928/mar/12/old-age-
pensions-birth-certificates#S5CV0214P0_19280312_HOC_231

(make sure you copy the whole URL)

Judy