CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2009-05 > 1242748622

From: judy olsen <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] Buerton Hall, near Nantwich
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 16:57:02 +0100

Buerton Hall appears on the Cheshire tithes map site.

Go here

http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/Search.aspx

Put 'Thomas' as occupier surname and then choose BUERTON, AUDLEM from
the drop down menu. The house at Buerton Hall is down as 'homestead'.

By comparison with the OS maps I would say it is likely the original
building may have been demolished. I also think it is likely given
that this is a farm, in Cheshire and called 'hall' that you are
looking at a box frame medieval hall ie a barn like structure where
the main room was originally a very large two storey space. This
would fit with the idea that you could drive a coach in to it.
Whereas when you have a portico and a porte cochere there tend to be
steps, which are a known impediment to horse traffic.

Any way that is a guess, the people most likely to know are

http://www.audlem.org/clubs/history-society.html

Luckily they meet this Thursday and the secretary's phone number is
on the webpage.

The tithe maps show extensive holdings occupied by the Thomases and
owned by the Delves Broughton family. You may have seen the film
White Mischief some years back - I am pretty sure this is the same
family. A bit of research on them and their records might be
fruitful. Wealthy families tended to accumulate properties by
marriage and this one seems large enough to have been an estate
acquired in that way - hence the large manorial style house.

good luck

Judy