CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2009-05 > 1242947056

From: Janet Mills <>
Subject: [CHS] marriage of James Hardey b 1846
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 00:04:16 +0100

Can anyone help?
My gt grandfather was John Arthur Hardy (Hardey- spellings seem to mix &
match) b1867 & was variously known as :-John Arthur b.cert, John m.cert,
Arthur my grandmother.s b.cert & John Arthur on her baptism record.
His father was James Hardey b 1846 Altrincham & married to Mary ?
The only marriage I can find is to Mary Starkey in 1866 fathers James
hardey & James Starkey - shoemaker. I can't find this Starkey family
anywhere! (btw James 2nd m to Louisa horton in 1890)

John A's b.cert has mother as Mary Hardy formerly POTTER of George St,
Altrincham.
I have found this family & the father is James Potter- shoemaker.

Further confusion:- 1871
James & Mary Hardy have children John A age 4, Sarah A age 2 & Arthur 1. No
trace of Arthur 1870 in births or deaths.
1881:- J & M have Arthur age 14, Ada age 12 James age 8 & Maud 1.....her
b.cert has mother as Mary Starkey!

John A marries in 1890 from the same address as the 1881 family ( which I
thought were the same family until I got the conflicying b. certs)so there
must be some connection.

Any ideas?

Janet

This thread: