CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2010-02 > 1265588527

From: "Perrin Larton" <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] public records and copyright
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 16:22:07 -0800 (PST)
References: <9804.55b37050.38a0743d@aol.com><9EAF9DF7BE9B40F9B1FCB1DCC583280E@NORTHERN2><004b01caa846$87de7280$979b5780$@com><A823A830C4934390B946017A4A4B0F77@NORTHERN2>
In-Reply-To: <A823A830C4934390B946017A4A4B0F77@NORTHERN2>

Hi Marie,

I have chosen NOT to put any of my work on Ancestry. I've shared it with
family members and some of those folks have put the 'bare bones' of what
I've shared with them on the site. I'm not opposed to Ancestry...I have a
subscription and have had for over 10 years. What I AM opposed to is that
Ancestry takes the information I've given them freely and then charges
other folks to see it. I don't get anything for my 'trouble'. No free
month, no free CD, nothing.

I feel like the information given FREELY to the Ancestry site should be
FREE for people to peruse. I'm not asking them to make all of their
databases free. They have costs associated with getting...say the census
documents scanned and input etc., etc., but the stuff individuals send
should be free in my opinion.

Regarding the documents that you've purchased from government
agencies...I'd have to agree that I wouldn't scan them into my database
and post them on a site like Ancestry...however...I would scan them and
share them with family members...or make copies and share...or whatever.
I usually transcribe all the information from the documents and when I
send the information...if I haven't included the copy...I will let them
know I have the copy if they'd like one.

Just my .02...change cheerfully given

Perrin

> Thanks Alan,
> I agree. Personally, I think it would be very rude for someone to upload
> photos that were shared by someone else without asking permission and that
> is why I haven't done it.
> Just to clarify the point about ceritificates, that means that I shouldn't
> have uploaded the certificates that I bought to Ancestry? I never thought
> about the certificates that I purchased from the UK as being copyrighted.
> Marie
> From: "Alan Bennett" <>
> Sent: Sunday, February 07, 2010 3:40 PM
> Subject: Re: [CHS] public records and copyright
>> Marie
>> Three points here:
>> - always ask permission from the person who gave you the photos before
>> publishing them on a web-site
>> - some photos may be subject to copyright and you wont know which if you
>> receive them from someone else
>> - certificates are copyrighted (UK GRO anyway) and should not be
>> published
>> online as the person buying them bought them for personal use only
>> Regards
>> Alan
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From:
>> [mailto:]
>> On Behalf Of M. Shaw
>> Sent: 07 February 2010 21:36
>> Cc:
>> Subject: Re: [CHS] public records and copyright
>> I am a little concerned about what is the proper thing to do with regard
>> to
>> this subject and would appreciate some opinions.
>> I have made the decision to put my family history, together with the
>> certificates that I have paid for, on Ancestry.
>> There are some pictures that others have taken and some documents /
>> certificates that other people have sent to me over the years. At this
>> point in time, I have not uploaded these to Ancestry, only certificiates
>> that I've paid for or scanned pictures that I own or that I have taken.
>> Would you consider it inappropriate for me to upload a certificate that
>> someone else paid for and then shared with me to a website like
>> Ancestry?
>> If I have an old family photograph taken decades ago, but the
>> photography
>> business is still operating under new ownership, then I would assume
>> that
>> it's a breach of copyright to upload to Ancestry or to anywhere else on
>> the
>> web?
>> Sometimes I'm rather dense where topics like this are concerned.
>> Marie
>> Alberta, Canada
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: <>
>> To: <>
>> Cc: <>
>> Sent: Sunday, February 07, 2010 12:53 PM
>> Subject: [CHS] public records and copyright
>>> Basic International Copyright law is:
>>>
>>> All rights reserved, including intellectual, on work done in it's
>>> original form.
>>> i.e. I own Bibles no one else has, or has seen in 150 years. I also
>>> own
>>> letters, photos, with writing on, which are ditto. I have
>>> correspondence
>>> of my own or given me--which fit that bill. If I use these things,
>>> write
>>> them up in my style, quoting, referencing, I can hold copyright.
>>>
>>> I can put everything together, publish a lengthy genealogy using such
>>> things, hold copyright.
>>>
>>> One cannot exclusively copyright records in the public domain---any
>>> certificates, vital stats,
>>>
>>> newspaper articles, are owned by the paper they appear in, the writer
>>> who
>>> works for them---and reference must be given as to that source.
>>>
>>> The ancestors belong to everyone who descend from them. Their
>>> public,
>>> anyone can get their hands on them records, likewise.
>>>
>>> If someone helps out, hands over research we haven''t yet done/found,
>>> they should be given as the source/reference, and if they are willing,
>>> a
>>> contact address. And thanked.
>>>
>>> (we all know more than we write down and send)
>>>
>>> If the lady in question kept handing out copies and info, no one said
>>> thank you, or referenced her research as the source---she has a
>>> legitimate
>>> gripe as to rudeness /no manners. BUT--she can't hold exclusive
>>> rights
>>> to
>>> public info. Doesn't matter HOW much she spent over the years. Doubt
>>> anyone
>>> was holding a knife to her throat, forcing her to send off queries
>>> and
>>> funds.
>>> Sheila
>>> In a message dated 2/7/2010 2:13:23 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
>>> writes:
>>> Welcome to the club Mike
>>> I no longer have any Fulton's in my tree as Pat has the 'rights', as
>>> she
>>> thinks anyway, to all the info available on that surname.
>>> Dave Goodwin
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From:
>>> [mailto:]
>>> On Behalf Of Mike Hayes
>>> Sent: 07 February 2010 13:39
>>> To:
>>> Subject: [CHS] Fulton details remove my name now
>>> To whom it concerns
>>>
>>> Someone with Fulton relatives have put all the details on their tree
>>> on
>>> Ancestry.com
>>> and I have been accused yet again of being the culprit.
>>> The Fulton details were gathered by Pat Bakewell not me. She has paid
>>> a
>>> fortune for the certificates over the years. If you have the audacity
>>> to
>>> claim the work is yours then don't put my name to it in future, and if
>>> it
>>> is
>>> on there please remove it.
>>>
>>> I have taken off all Fulton details and destroyed all hard copies of
>>> connections from Pat to gather it all again myself.
>>>
>>> Regrettably I have had to sever ties with her as she believes I am the
>>> culprit. This is not the first time this has happened, but it will be
>>> the
>>> last. If any other Fulton related data appears anywhere it has NOT
>>> come
>>> from
>>> myself.
>>> Mike Hayes
>>> -------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>>> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>> quotes
>> in the subject and the body of the message
>> E-mail message checked by Spyware Doctor (7.0.0.514)
>> Database version: 6.14300
>> http://www.pctools.com/uk/spyware-doctor-antivirus/
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> quotes in the subject and the body of the message