CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2010-02 > 1265588527

From: "Perrin Larton" <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] public records and copyright
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 16:22:07 -0800 (PST)

Hi Marie,

I have chosen NOT to put any of my work on Ancestry. I've shared it with
family members and some of those folks have put the 'bare bones' of what
I've shared with them on the site. I'm not opposed to Ancestry...I have a
subscription and have had for over 10 years. What I AM opposed to is that
Ancestry takes the information I've given them freely and then charges
other folks to see it. I don't get anything for my 'trouble'. No free
month, no free CD, nothing.

I feel like the information given FREELY to the Ancestry site should be
FREE for people to peruse. I'm not asking them to make all of their
databases free. They have costs associated with getting...say the census
documents scanned and input etc., etc., but the stuff individuals send
should be free in my opinion.

Regarding the documents that you've purchased from government
agencies...I'd have to agree that I wouldn't scan them into my database
and post them on a site like Ancestry...however...I would scan them and
share them with family members...or make copies and share...or whatever.
I usually transcribe all the information from the documents and when I
send the information...if I haven't included the copy...I will let them
know I have the copy if they'd like one.

Just my .02...change cheerfully given

Perrin

> Thanks Alan,
>
> I agree. Personally, I think it would be very rude for someone to upload
> photos that were shared by someone else without asking permission and that
> is why I haven't done it.
>
> Just to clarify the point about ceritificates, that means that I shouldn't
> have uploaded the certificates that I bought to Ancestry? I never thought
> about the certificates that I purchased from the UK as being copyrighted.
>
> Marie

>>> the
>>> last. If any other Fulton related data appears anywhere it has NOT
>>> come
>>> from