CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2010-07 > 1280488300

From: Ian Buckley <>
Subject: [CHS] John Thorley, b 1816
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:11:40 +0000

Having had some very positive responses to an earlier enquiry about Sarah Sumner, I’d like to place her husband before list members.
JOHN THORLEY was born (his ages are consistent in the various censuses) in 1816 or 1817, and his birthplace was recorded as Marton, Cheshire (except one census which, unaccountably, has Stockport, where he lived from 1841 onwards).
The trouble is that there are two villages in Cheshire called Marton – one near Congleton and one just south west of Northwich (Whitegates parish, I believe, whose registers are not in IGI).
In IGI there is a record of the birth of a John Thorley christened in Marton (near Congleton) 9 June 1816. The father’s name is given as Joseph Harrop, and the mother’s as Ann Thorley, which seems to make John Thorley illegitimate. I suppose, given the coincidence of dates, that this record probably refers to my ancestor – though the fact that his wife was from Great Budworth still makes me wonder whether he might have been born closer to his wife’s birthplace. Although as John and Sarah married in Alderley in 1836, and had their first child in Snelson Heath (1837), it is possible they were both working in the Alderley/ Chelford area. The earliest occupation I know for John Thorley is carter.
An Ann Thorley married (31 December 1821) George Potts (IGI). George had been christened in Marton (6 January 1793), and according to the IGI record Ann was born around 1798 at Hulme Walfield [parents’ names unspecified], two or three miles south of Marton.
I wonder if there are list members who have researched Thorley families from either of the two villages called Marton who might be able to offer advice in how to proceed.
I'd be grateful for any advice IAN

This thread: