CHESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > CHESHIRE > 2010-11 > 1288690430

From: Joy Langdon <>
Subject: Re: [CHS] Re 1911 census
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 09:33:50 +0000 (GMT)

When I had a subscription to Ancestry and couldn't find someone on the census I
did it the hard way and paged through the original images for the area I knew
they were likely to be.  I have only used pay as you go for the 1911 census and
Scotland's People (both owned by Brightsolid) and it is so frustrating when you
know somebody is there but just can't find them using every variation of name
you can think of (not to mention expensive looking at the results only to find
they are not who you are looking for).  I sent back corrections for nearly
everyone I eventually found.  Names, places everything was garbled and in some
cases bizarre.  In one case they had a completely non-existent place as the
birthplace given by my 2xgt uncle in Cornwall.  They rejected my amendment until
I asked them for the map reference of the place they said it was.  Suddenly they
decided to accept the change!  Admittedly, the handwriting was dreadful but the
old gentleman was in his 80s and probably had only had limited schooling.

I was sent a questionnaire by 1911census.co.uk and left them in no doubt of my
feelings about their organisation.  Their draconian policy really annoys me.  If
I have bought an expensive subscription and have found everything (or failed to
find it!) within a few months then I think I have every right to get the best
value from my expenditure by helping others if I so wish during the rest of the
subscription period.  Ancestry allows you to send images to others (up to a
certain number anyway) and still lets me know when people I have shared trees
with have made an update even though my subscription has ended.

As a British taxpayer I have already paid for censuses to be collected and I
know a lot of the computerisation of the Scottish data was done with EU money.
The Irish government is in serious financial difficulties because of the banking
crisis but the Irish 1901 and 1911 census are completely free to search and
view.

Joy