CHILDRESS-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > CHILDRESS-RESEARCH > 2005-09 > 1125607840

From: nomoney6 <>
Subject: ERNEST CHILDERS
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 17:05:16 -0400

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A58550-2005Mar22.html

Medal of Honor Recipient Ernest Childers Dies at 87
By Adam Bernstein...Washington Post Staff Writer...Wednesday, March 23,
2005; Page B06
Ernest Childers, 87, a Native American and Army veteran who
received the Medal of Honor for his combat service in Italy during World
War II, died March 17, 2005 at a hospice in Tulsa after strokes. He
lived near Tulsa, Ok. He was a second lieutenant in the 45th Infantry
Division when he received the Medal of Honor, the highest military award
for valor.
Ernest Childers was born Feb. 1, 1918, in Broken Arrow, Okla., and
raised on a farm that was part of his father's original Creek tribal
allotment. He was the third of five sons and the best shot, having been
taught by his father, a Creek Nation lawyer and a great hunter. After
his father died, he was responsible for feeding the family during the
Depression years. His mother gave him one .22-caliber cartridge every
day to kill a rabbit for dinner. "I got to be a very good aim," he told
a Tulsa reporter in 2002. "Because if I missed, we didn't eat."
He graduated from the Chilocco (Okla.) Indian School, where he
boxed and learned mechanics. He joined the Oklahoma National Guard in
1937 to earn extra money, and his unit was activated during World War
II. Remaining in the Army after the war, he later taught jungle training
in Panama and winter training in Alaska before retiring in 1965 as a
lieutenant colonel. A brief stint with the Job Corps program in
Washington ended after he suffered a heart attack. Returning to
Oklahoma, he spoke to students about the emotional costs of war.
Survivors include his wife of 59 years, Yolanda Childers; three
children and a brother

This thread: