CHILDRESS-L Archives

Archiver > CHILDRESS > 1999-12 > 0944711820

From: "Childress" <>
Subject: [CHILDRESS] Robert Childress of Carroll County
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 19:57:00 -0800

Hi Joyce,
I saw your name on the Carroll County, VA web site list that shows Robert
Childress of Carroll county as listed as having received a Civil War Pension
at http://www.rootsweb.com/~vacarrol/carr-pen.htm which I presume you are
aware of. What does the pension say about Robert?

If I understand the history of Carroll County correctly, it was formed in
1842, so Robert born ca. 1831 wasn't born in Carroll County, but maybe in a
predecessor county. Carroll was formed from Grayson which was formed from
Wythe, which was formed from Montgomery County, which was formed from
Botetourt.

There are Childresses speculating in land in Montgomery County ca. 1780's
and 1790's and even in Botetourt, I recollect. There is a Childress Store
ca. the mid 1800's in Montgomery County, and a Childress is a postmaster, I
recollect, in Montgomery County. I am suspicious that the Childresses who
were speculating in land in Montgomery ca. the 1780-1790's may have (but it
is not yet clear) links to Amherst and Albemarle Childress families. There
is a Stephen Childress in that neck of the woods that I haven't been able to
link to anybody but if you run into a Joseph Childress, I presumed him to be
a Joseph of Amherst County, VA. I haven't undertaken any systematic
research of this area of Virginia, however.

Gary Childress