CHILDRESS-L Archives

Archiver > CHILDRESS > 2001-01 > 0980118756

From: "Mark and Gary" <>
Subject: [Childress Research] THE PARENTS of THOMAS JEFFERSON CHILDRESS & JOHN KIRBY CHILDRESS & JOHN CHILDRESS
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 15:12:36 -0800

THE PARENTS of THOMAS JEFFERSON CHILDRESS & JOHN KIRBY CHILDRESS & JOHN
CHILDRESS (Married to Polly Kirby)

AN ANALYSIS

by Mark Childress (co-listowner)

The parentage of Thomas Jefferson Childress and the separate parentage of
John Kirby Childress, both of Jackson County, Alabama have been a matter of
some discussion and dispute over the years. Over the past year researchers
have sent us copies of original documents and asked for our opinion on each
of these persons. These questions happen to coincide with ongoing research
by the listowners pertaining to the Amherst & Albemarle Co., VA and Knox
Co., TN Childress lineages.

For those unfamiliar with the names Thomas Jefferson Childress and John
Kirby Childress, both men were residents of 19th Century Jackson County,
Alabama and descendants of the Knox County, East Tennessee Childresses whose
progenitors can be reliably traced through Revolutionary War pension
declarations to the Childress family of 18th Century Albemarle and Amherst
Counties, Virginia. Thomas Jefferson Childress was born in 27 Nov 1826 and
died in 4 Feb 1900, in Jackson Co., AL. John Kirby Childress was born 6 Nov
1815 and died 24 Nov 1897, in Jackson Co., AL.

THE CASE FOR THE PARENTS OF THOMAS JEFFERSON CHILDRESS (born 1827)

BACKGROUND

On 14 Aug 1888, Thomas Jefferson Childress submitted a pension claim for
long-ago service in the Mexican War. [Survivors Pension, Mexican American
War, No. 18416, Thomas Jefferson Childress, 14 Aug 1888]

>From the 1888 pension claim of Thomas Jefferson Childress we learn that:
1 he was born near Bellefonte, Jackson Co., Alabama. The last paragraph
of
the pension claim/form reads:
"Applicant declares that he was born at near Belfont [sic], in the
County
of
Jackson, and State of Alabama, that he is 6I years of age, * * * *." He
further declares that he is "will be 62 years old next Nov 27, 1888."
(handwritten insertions italicized)
2 he was born in 27 Nov 1826,
3 his parents were living in/near Bellefonte, Jackson Co., Alabama in
1826,
and
4 the pension statement makes reference to Thomas Jefferson Childress
entrusting to John K. Childress, possession of Thomas Jefferson Childress’s
discharge papers. The second to last paragraph of Thomas Jefferson
Childress's pension claim reads:

"That his Discharge Certificate was left with John K. Childers [sic] in
Jackson Co., AL. "

The conclusion to be drawn from this entrustment is that both men were close
family members.

In the 1830 census of Jackson Co., Alabama, only two Childress families are
shown as potential parents–
CANDIDATE ONE: the family headed by John & Polly (Kirby) Childress and
CANDIDATE TWO: the family headed by their son, Joel & Nancy (Clark)
Childress.

The Census record of 1830 resolves which family is the best candidate to be
the father
of Thomas Jefferson Childress by showing the age of the children. Since
Thomas Jefferson Childress was born in 1827, he would have been just a child
of 3 years of age during the 1830 census.
The family headed by John & Polly Childress is listed with 1 son (10-15
years old), 1 daughter (10-15), and 1 daughter (15-20). The family headed by
Joel & Nancy Childress is listed with 1 son (under 5 years old), and 1
daughter (under 5).

Only the age of Joel's son, 1-5 years old, is consistent with the age of
Thomas Jefferson Childress who
was 3 years old in 1830. The age of John & Polly (Kirby) Childress's
son,10-15 years old, is not consistent with the age of Thomas Jefferson
Childress in 1830.

CONCLUSION:

The evidence supports the position that Joel and Nancy (Clark) Childress of
Jackson Co., AL were the parents of Thomas Jefferson Childress (b. 1827).

THE CASE FOR THE PARENTS OF JOHN KIRBY CHILDRESS (born 1815)

BACKGROUND

On 29 Aug 1892, John Kirby Childress of Jackson Co., AL submitted a pension
claim for service in the Indian Wars. [Pension Claim, Creek Wars, U.S.
National Archives, 29 Aug 1892]

>From the pension claim of John Kirby Childress we learn that
1 he was born 1814 or 1815 [he was 22 y/o at enlistment],
2 enlisted in 1836 as he came of age (age 21-22), and
3 enlisted at Bellefonte, Jackson Co., Alabama on 1 May 1836.

We may also presume from two sources that he is a close family relative to
Thomas Jefferson Childress and, by extension, related to the parents of
Thomas Jefferson Childress - Joel & Nancy (Clark) Childress. (1) Thomas
Jefferson Childress said he left his Military Discharge Certificate with
John Kirby Childress [see, Pension Claim, Thomas Jefferson Childress, second
to last paragraph (1888)], and (2) both Thomas Jefferson Childress and John
Kirby Childress share Bellefonte, Jackson Co., AL in their background.
[Thomas Jefferson Childress was born there in 1827, and John Kirby.
Childress enlisted from there in 1836]

Two sets of candidates have been proffered to be the parents of John Kirby
Childress:
CANDIDATE ONE: Mitchel & Rachel (Hendrix) Childress, of Knox Co., TN, or
CANDIDATE TWO: John and Polly (nee Kirby) Childress, of Jackson Co., AL.

CANDIDATE 1 - Mitchel & Rachel (nee Hendrix) Childress of Knox Co., TN

(1) THE SCOTT LETTER
The case for identifying Mitchel Childress as the father of John Kirby
Childress rests almost entirely on a short letter written by R.T. Scott,
Agent for the State of Alabama, Scottsboro, AL, on 22 May 1854, to the
Commissioner of Pensions, Washington, D.C.:
"I am requested by Mr. John K. Childers, who resides in my neighborhood,
by letter bearing date May 12, Inst[ant] to make the necessary enquiry in
the pension office in relation to the Pension of his father Mitchel
Childers. Said Pension is in consideration of Revolutionary Services under
the Act of Congress 1832. I wish to ascertain the amount paid, and the
precise date at which his pension stop[p]ed and how much is due her heirs
remaining unpaid, and any other information concerning said pension
furnished by the evidence in your office. Any early answer is desired.
Your Ob[edien]t S[er]v[an]t.
R.T. Scott
Agent for the State of Ala[bama]"
[Revolutionary War Pension Application, File No. S-2426, Mitchell
Childress (27 May 1834), Textual Reference Branch (NNR1), National Archives
and Records Administration, Washington, D.C., 20408, Microcopy M804, Role
535, unselected documents, at Letter of R.T. Scott, 22 May 1854.]

The Scott letter seemingly presents an open and shut case for the position
that Mitchell Childress is the father of John K. Childress.

An alternative theory has been proposed that John Kirby Childress may be the
grandson of Mitchel Childress. This theory postulates that the letter of
J.T. Scott is partially wrong in that Scott meant to say that Mitchel
Childress was the grandfather of John K. Childress not the "father". The
gist of this hypothesis is that Mitchel’s son John is the John Childress
who married Polly Kirby, in 1796, Blount Co., TN and who, in turn, is the
father of John Kirby Childress (b. 1815).

This premise is beguiling because it ascribes John Kirby Childress's middle
name to parents John & Polly (Kirby) Childress of Jackson Co., AL, in
particular his mother's maiden name "Kirby," while upholding the Mitchel
Childress connection raised in the R.T. Scott letter.

(2) THE WILL
A second argument for identifying John Kirby Childress as the son of Mitchel
Childress is that Mitchel Childress named a son John in his Will and no one
has heretofore identified any other John Childress, other than John K.
Childress, as the son of Mitchel Childress.

(3) TIMING:
A third argument for identifying Mitchel Childress as the father of John
Kirby Childress is that John Kirby Childress is born 6 Nov 1815, the same
year and 8 months after Mitchel Childress married Rachel Hendrix in Knox
Co., TN on 1 Mar 1815. [Byron & Barbara Sistler, Early East Tennessee
Marriages, Vol. 1, p. 65 (Sistler & Associates, Nashville, TN, 1987)]

CANDIDATE 2 - John Childress m. to Polly Kirby:

The argument that Mitchel Childress is the father of John Kirby Childress
has problems, not the least of which is John's middle name "Kirby" which
points to Polly (Kirby) Childress as his mother and namesake. Beyond that
there is mound of circumstantial evidence at odds with a strict reading of
R.T. Scott's letter of 1854.

If it weren’t for the R.T. Scott letter to the pension department, I doubt
there would be any controversy. Everyone would agree that John Kirby
Childress IS the son of John & Polly (Kirby) Childress and is NOT the son of
Mitchel Childress.

The case for John Kirby Childress’s parents being John and Polly (Kirby)
Childress is as follows:

(1) NAMING PATTERN:
John Kirby Childress's middle name reflects the maiden name of Mary "Polly"
Kirby, the lady put forth as his mother. Conversely, there is no known
connection between Mitchel Childress and any Kirby family member that might
prompt Mitchel to adopt the surname "Kirby" as a middle name for his son
John. [It is noteworthy that John and Polly (Kirby) Childress's son, Richard
Hamilton Childress (b.c. 1800), named a son James Kirby Childress in what
appears to be a ripple of this earlier family tradition]

(2) ORAL HISTORY:
The oral history of descendants of the Kirby family of Jackson Co., AL
maintain that John Kirby Childress is descended by John & Polly (Kirby)
Childress, and is therefore a brother of Joel Childress (m Nancy Clark)
[Transcript of Belle Dicus, taped recollections, 12 Sep 1983] [see also
Point # 1 (above)]

(3) BELLEFONTE CONNECTION:
John Kirby Childress enlisted from Bellefonte, Jackson Co., AL. Bellefonte
is
where Joel Childress, purported brother of John Kirby Childress, was living
in 1827. We know this because Joel's son, Thomas Jefferson Childress, was
born there. This puts John Kirby Childress squarely in the midst of the
descendants of John and Polly (Kirby) Childress.

(4) CUSTODY OF DOCUMENTS:
John Kirby Childress's custody of the Discharge Certificate of Thomas
Jefferson Childress (son of Joel Childress of Jackson Co., AL) is consistent
with John Kirby Childress being the uncle of Thomas Jefferson Childress and
the son of John & Polly (Kirby) Childress. [see, Pension Claim of Thomas
Jefferson Childress, 14 Aug 1888]

(5) BURGESS FAMILY IN-LAWS:
John Kirby Childress married Ruth Brown BURGESS in 1840 IN ALABAMA. If John
Kirby Childress were a son of John and Polly (Kirby) Childress then he also
becomes a brother to Joel Childress. Joel Childress's daughter, Laura
Childress married John M. BURGESS in 1857 IN ALABAMA. That John Kirby
Childress and Joel Childress are members of the same family is consistent
with the supposition that John Kirby Childress's marriage to a Burgess
introduced Burgess family members to his niece, Laura Childress (daughter of
Joel & Nancy (Clerk) Childress).

(6) UNNECESSARY JOURNEY:
Mitchel Childress was living in Knox County, TN. It seems unlikely that John
Kirby Childress, if he were the son of Mitchel Childress and growing up in
Knox Co., TN would, upon coming of age 21, travel to distant Bellefonte,
Jackson Co., AL and enlist in the army there instead of enlisting in Knox
County, TN.

(7) CREDIBILITY OF SCOTT:
There is a significant probability that R.T. Scott, who wrote the letter
identifying Mitchel Childress as the father of John Kirby Childress, was not
acquainted with the Childress family because he called them "Childers"
instead of "Childress". And Scott did this despite having the signature and
spelling of the Childress name in front of him in the letter from John K.
Childress.

(8) CONCEPTION AND PREMATURE BIRTH:
When 65 year old Mitchel married his wife Rachel, she was between 35-45
years old and a spinster. [see 1830 Census, Knox County, TN] It may have
been a marriage of convenience.

John Kirby Childress was born 6 Nov 1815, which is 8 months after Mitchel
Childress married Rachel Hendrix in Knox Co., TN on 1 Mar 1815. This means
that for Mitchel to be the father of John Kirby Childress in 1815, John
Kirby Childress was either conceived a month before the marriage or survived
a premature birth without the benefit of modern medicine. Either way, this
places John Kirby Childress's birth on the outer edge of probabilities that
must be accepted if Mitchel is to fit as the father of John Kirby Childress.

Furthermore, it is not apparent that Rachel (Hendrix) Childress gave birth
to any child in 1815. The 1830 census of Knox Co., TN shows that the
household of Mitchel Childress contains 1 male (10-15 years old) and 1
female (20-30 years old) plus Mitchel’s wife. It is not obvious that the
male child (the candidate for John Kirby Childress) living in the household
is even the son of Mitchel and Rachel. There is another single female,
possibly as old as 30, living in or visiting the Mitchel Childress household
at the time of the 1830 census who could be the parent of this 10+ year old
child. The relationships among the parties found in Mitchel Childress's
household on the 1830 census are unclear.

(9) TWO JOHNS:
A further argument why John Kirby Childress is unlikely to be the son of
Mitchel Childress is that Mitchel’s son, John Childress, appears to be alive
and identifiable prior to 1815 (the date when John Kirby Childress was
born).

There is a deed in North Carolina dated 7 Oct 1798, in which "Mitchel
Childress of the State of Tennessee and County of Knox" deeded 95 acres of
land in Wilkes Co., NC to his brother-in-law, Francis Webb, of Wilkes Co.,
NC. The deed was witnessed by John Flannagin, Cuthbert Webb, and John (x)
Childress (the "x" being the mark of an illiterate or quasi-illiterate John
Childress). John X Childress on the 1798 deed may be the son of Mitchel
Childress.

(10) THOMAS B. PARKS DIARY:
The most compelling evidence for John and Polly (nee Kirby) Childress being
the parents of John Kirby Childress are two entries found in the diary of
Minister Thomas B. Parks, of Collum, Alabama. Thomas B. Parks was born in
1832 in Jackson Co., AL to parents who had lived in East Tennessee between
1790 and 1819 (before they moved to Jackson County, AL around 1819). As a
minister in the community he married the grandsons of John Kirby Childress
and, in doing so, appended genealogical thumbnail sketches as part of his
diary entries. Compared to R.T. Scott who was a stranger to the Childress
family, Minister Thomas B. Parks was familiar with the Childress family,
listened attentively to the talk of ancestors by family members, and appears
to have diligently and contemporaneously recorded the genealogical
information he heard or asked about. [See diary entry on 1912, made at 8:30
a.m., just 30 minutes after wedding]

Thomas B. Park's two diary entries are reported verbatim (below):
"November 17, 1907. Celebrated the rites of Matrimony between Garth R.
Childress and Mis [sic] Sophie Thompson at my residence, Collum, Ala, on the
17th day of November 1907. Said Garth is the son of Hugh G. Childress, son
of John K. Childress whose father was also named John and settled in this
county in the early settlement of this state, between the year 1818 and 1820
* * * ."

"Collum, Ala., September 28, 1912 – 8:30 a.m. Celebrated the rites of
Matrimony between A. Boyd Childress and Miss Elora V. Green at my residence
on Septem. 28, 1912 A.D., 8:00 a.m. A. Boyd Childress is the son of Alonzo
Childress who was the son of John K. Childress which [sic] was the son of
John Childress who came to this community in the early settlement of the
Tennessee River Valley before the Indians were removed West of the
Mississippi River."

An objection could be interjected, for the sake of argument, that Minister
Thomas B. Parks was recording oral history and that makes his genealogical
notes suspect. The response is that his two sources, Garth Childress and A.
Boyd Childress, got their information from their respective fathers, Hugh
and Alonzo Childress, who were contemporaries of their father, John Kirby
Childress, who lived until 1897, and who presumably talked to them about
their grandparents – John and Polly (Kirby) Childress. The two men (Garth &
A. Boyd Childress) are therefore first-hand aural witnesses to family
relationships presumably known and discussed within their respective
families. The testimony of each man corroborates the other, to wit: that
John Kirby Childress told his sons A. Boyd Childress and Alonzo Childress
that his parents were John & Polly (Kirby) Childress. Although their
testimony cannot prove that John Childress (m. Polly Kirby) is the father of
John Kirby Childress, their testimony is evidence as to whom their family
"believed" to be the father of John Kirby Childress.

John Kirby Childress is named after his mother and namesake, Polly (Kirby)
Childress, and Minister Thomas Parks, who knows the family and marries them
says that this is so.

CONCLUSION
The evidence supports the position that John Kirby Childress is the son of
John and Polly (Kirby) Childress.

THE PARENTS OF JOHN CHILDRESS m. to Polly Kirby

BACKGROUND
The founders of the Jackson Co., AL Childress clan were John Childress m. to
Polly Kirby. Pursuit of the parentage of this John Childress (m. Kirby) has
been a matter of much research, discussion and speculation over the years.

It has long been presumed that they descended from the Childresses of nearby
Knox Co., TN. This conclusion appears to be correct. On 8 Nov 1796, a
marriage bond was issued for the marriage of John Childress and Polly Curbey
[(sic) Kirby], in Blount Co., TN, a county located South of, and adjacent
to, Knox Co., TN. Their presumed son Richard Hamilton Childress (b.c. 1797)
married Rebecca White, 25 May 1819, in Knox Co., TN. [Byron & Barbara
Sistler, Early East Tennessee Marriages, Vol. 1, p. 65 (Nashville,
Tennessee)] This Richard Hamilton Childress (m. to Becky White) named one of
his sons James Kirby Childress.

The question that has long perplexed researchers of this line is to which
Knox Co., TN Childress lineage did John Childress (m. Polly Kirby) belong.
Records currently indicate that there are only 3 Childress lineages residing
in Knox Co., TN at this time: John Childress (b. 1759) - his children are
known and not the Alabama line; William Childress (d. 1831, m. Peggy ___) -
his children are likewise known from his will [had no son named John];
Mitchell Childress (b. 1750) - left a will naming sons John, Mitchell, Jr.,
and James Childress.

CANDIDATE 1 - John Childress (b. 1759)

John Childress (m. Polly Kirby) was not the son of John Childress (b. 1759)
because on 17 Aug 1749, a Bill (or Petition) of Complaint was filed in Knox
County, TN by the Executor of the Estate of John Childress (b. 1759) in
which his son John Childress, Jr. was identified as a resident of adjacent
Anderson Co., TN. [Robert Childress v. Betsy Hynds, Packet # 512, Knox Co.,
TN Chancery Court (filed 17 Aug 1849), Microfilm Reel #11, Chancery Court
Cases 511-577, TSL&A, Nashville, TN; see also, 23 Apr 1835 (recorded 23 May
1835)] John Childress, Jr. was a resident of Anderson Co., TN as early as
1835. [see John Childress and Edy Childress his wife of Anderson Co., TN to
Timothy Weaver, Anderson Co., TN Deed Book I-1, pp. 149-150, Roll 30] The
Bill of Complaint effectively precludes John Childress (b. 1759) from being
the father of John Childress (m. to Polly Kirby), resident of Jackson Co.,
AL.

It has been often speculated that John Childress (m. to Polly Kirby) was
that certain John Childress who signed a deed book entry in Jackson Co., AL
in 1831 as "John Childress, Jr." [See, 9 Sep 1831, Executed notes from
Thomas Clark to Clabourn [(sic) Claiborne] Carr, Jackson Co., AL Deed Book
D, pp. 79-80 at 80, witness John Childers, Jr. (sic)] This entry in Deed
Book "D" has been cited as evidence that John Childress (m. to Polly Kirby)
was the son of a John Childress, Sr. However, an alternative interpretation
exists. In 1831, John Kirby Childress – son of John Childress (m. Polly
Kirby) – was 15-16 years old, literate and presumably a resident of Jackson
Co., AL. John Kirby Childress can be (and presumably was) that witness who
signed as John Childress, Jr., recorded in Deed Book "D," p. 80. Under this
interpretation, his father John Childress (m. to Polly Kirby) would be John
Childress, Senior of Jackson Co., AL. Consequently, Deed Book "D" is not an
impediment to their joint and mutual claim that Mitchell Childress, Sr. (b.
1750) was their progenitor.

CANDIDATE 2 - Mitchell Childress (b. 1750)

John Childress (m. to Polly Kirby) was a descendant of Mitchell Childress,
Sr. (b. 1750). [see prior discussion of candidate John Childress (b. 1759)
(immediately above)] This is corroborated by the R.T. Scott letter in which
the Jackson Co., TN Childresses are inquiring about the status of pension
payments possibly owed them as descendants of Mitchell Childress, Sr. (b.
1750, d. 1844).

R.T. Scott, Agent for the State of Alabama, Scottsboro, AL, penned a short
letter on 22 May 1854, to the Commissioner of Pensions, Washington, D.C.,
reading:
[...]

Upon first impression Scott's letter appears to unequivocally name Mitchell
Childress as the father of John K. Childress. But upon reflection, this is
not so clear. The letter to R.T. Scott's may have come from John Childress
(m. Polly Kirby) not from his son John Kirby Childress. John Childress (m.
Polly Kirby) was only partially literate as seen from his marriage bond
where he struggled uncomfortably to sign his surname "Childess" (leaving out
the "r"). He may also be that John X Childress who signed as a witness to
Mitchell's deed to Francis Webb in 1798. [see Wilkes Co., NC DB "D", p. 428
(rec. Sep 1798)] John Childress (m. Polly Kirby) may have dictated his
letter to another and signed his letter to Scott by mark, i.e., "X". The
letter writer, perhaps a clergyman or neighbor, may have then signed the
Scott letter as "John Childress" around his friend's "mark" – a routine
procedure. If R.T. Scott misread or misunderstood the "X" as a "K" in the
signature at the
bottom of the letter he received, then the author would be John X Childress
(a son of Mitchell Childress) instead of John K. Childress (a grandson of
Mitchell Childress).

An alternative explanation that arrives at the same conclusion would be to
speculate that R.T. Scott did indeed receive a letter from a John "K."
Childress but that this person was not John Kirby Childress but his father
John Childress (m. Polly Kirby) who also had a middle name that began with a
"K", for example John Knox Childress or John Keaton Childress or John Karl
Childress etc.

The significance of the R.T. Scott letter to the Pension Department,
however, remains manifest; it reveals that the Jackson Co., AL Childresses
claimed descent from Mitchell Childress, Sr. (b. 1750).

SUMMATION
The evidence supports the position that John Childress (m. to Polly Kirby)
was the son of Mitchell Childress, Sr. (b. 1750).

The evidence points to the family tree (abridged) of Thomas Jefferson
Childress, John Kirby
Childress, and John Childress (m. Polly Kirby) as apparently looking like
this:
1. Mitchell Childress, Sr., b. 1750 (m. to Ursula Webb & Rachel
Hendrix).
2. Mitchell Childress, Jr., (b.c. 1767)
2. John Childress (b.c. 1776, m. to Polly Kirby).
3. Joel Childress (b. 1798)
4. Thomas Jefferson Childress (b. 1827)
4. Laura Childress (b. 1836, m. John M. Burgess)
4. et al. (further children)
3. John Kirby Childress (b. 1815, m. to Ruth Burgess).
2. Ursula Childress (b.c. 1781, m. William Childress)
2. Susanna Robertson (b. ?)
2. James Childress (b.c. 1788, m. to Polly Ayers)

The evidence is presently insufficient from which to deduce the father of
Mitchell Childress, Sr. (b. 1750). The most that can be said is that the
father of Mitchell Childress, Sr. (b. 1750) arrived in Henrico County, VA
prior to 1750 and moved to Amherst County, VA while Mitchell was still in
his
youth. [Revolutionary War Pension Application, File No. 2426, Mitchell
Childress (27 May 1834), Textual Reference Branch (NNR1), National Archives
and Records Administration, Washington, D.C., 20408, Microcopy M804, Role
535]

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS:
I wish to express my gratitude to the following individuals for graciously
sharing their documents, insights, thoughts and discoveries:
Bonnie Childress LeBlanc ,
Ann B. Chambless ,
Jay Childress,
Sue Burgess .
My additional thanks to Gary Childress for his editing and discussions into
the early
morning hours.

Mark Childress
Co-Listowner