CHOATE-L Archives

Archiver > CHOATE > 1999-07 > 0933438636

From: Barbara <>
Subject: Re: Maybe Davey Crockett is Our Cousin!! and Your Aunts Did Play with aFull Deck
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 11:30:36 -0500

Some interesting stuff about the Crocketts - with other opinions included - is
found at this web site - it touches on the parentage of Rebecca Hawkins:

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/5273/crockett.htm#John5

"John CROCKETT, (David CROCKETT, William CROCKETT, Joseph, Antoine CROCKETAGNE,
Gabriel DE CROCKETAGNE) was born in 1754 in Maryland, and in Of, Washington Co.,
Virginia, married (86) Rebecca HAWKINS, daughter of Nathan HAWKINS and Ruth COLE,
who was born in 1764 in Baltimore Co., Maryland. John died in 1794. Rebecca was
buried in Rutherford, Gibson County, Tennessee.

Mr. Worth S. Ray, author of The Lost Tribes of
North Carolina, in Tennesse Cousins makes the following statement. "John
Crockett, father of David "Davy" Crockett, was the son of Archibald Crockett, who
married a daughter of William King, of Macklenburg Co., NC. Col. Thomas King of
Hawkins Co. Tennessee was an uncle of John Crockett, and brother in law of
Archibald Crockett, the grandfather of David Crockett. The mother of John
Crockett's wife married as her second husband, a man named King, by whom she had
at least one son, William King". He also says "David Crockett's mother was a
Hawkins before her marriage to John Crockett, but she was not, a sister of Sarah
Hawkins who married Govenor John Sevier, as David Crockett certainly would not
have had first cousins old enough to have fought in the battle of King's
Mountain."
There are different accounts as to the connection of Rebecca Hawkins and Sarah
and Jane Hawkins. The Geneology of the LDS registry does not list her as sisters
of the women who married Gen. John Sevier and Richard Campbell. The Greene Co.
Tn History says that Rebecca Hawkins's father was Joseph Hawkins and Anneke Jane
Edwards who came from England and arrived in Virginia in 1658.

There are two opinions about the family of Rebecca Hawkins. The one gaining
popularity is that she was the daughter of Nathan Hawkins & Ruth Cole of
Baltimore. I show Rebecca with 6 brothers and two sisters named Rachel Ruth &
Mary Elizabeth. No Sarah. A good deal of the information in Zella Armstrong's
book has been found to be inaccurate by more modern Crockett researchers. Zella
shows a William Crockett as a son of John & Rebecca Hawkins Crockett. My
ancestor is that William, but bears no resemblance to the information in Zella's
book. I have no idea who her William is nor does anyone else seem to have a
clue. Sorry I don't have any definitive answers for you to help with your
article. The Hawkins family seems to be another of those mysterious areas of
the Crockett family.
Marie Cilluffo "
--------------
This brings up the possibility of another connection: the King family.

"John Crockett, father of David "Davy" Crockett, was the son of Archibald
Crockett, who married a daughter of William King, of Macklenburg Co., NC. Col.
Thomas King of Hawkins Co. Tennessee was an uncle of John Crockett, and brother
in law of Archibald Crockett, the grandfather of David Crockett.""

I've got Kings too.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Prairie/5455//Darceyetc.html
John King
d 1789 Prince George Co., Maryland
m. Rebeckah Summers
---
John Darcey
b. 1737 Prince George Co., Maryland
d. 1815/1819 Prince George Co., Maryland
m. 1753 Prince George County Maryland
Elizabeth King
b. 1753 Prince George Co., Maryland
d. 1815/1819 Prince George Co., Maryland
---
This all gets very complicated and intermarried in here...but suffice it to say
that through the King, Darnall, Darcey, Summers, Soper lines we get down to
Zerelda Darnall who married a Gersham Cravens, whose daughter, Mariah Antoinette
Cravens married Jason Daugherty... and they all lived in Fannin Co. TX. Again..
the connections for me seem to be through the Daughertys/Cravens, etc.

These are all my mother's paternal ancestors. The Barefoot/Choate lines are my
mother's maternal lines. They seem to be "dancing" around each other in the
same areas, but don't seem to have connected (yet) until they all get to Texas
and then up to Oklahoma - My grandparents met and married 16 Nov 1902 Wynnewood,
Indian Territory (Oklahoma). *smile*

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Prairie/5455/index.html
---------

wrote:

> Barbara and Choate Cousins:
>
> Last night I thought it was another little improbable story about Davey
> Crockett being a cousin....
>
> Then Barbara puts this in this morning and it all seems VERY Probable that
> Davey actually could well be a cousin:
>
> In a message dated 7/31/99 10:21:09 AM EST, writes:
>
> << -----------
> http://hostville.com/family/gen1/d0009/g0000045.html#I38325
> Rebecca HAWKINS
> [31292]
> 1764 - ____
> BIRTH: 1764, Baltimore Co., Maryland
> BURIAL: Rutherford, Gibson Co., Tennessee >>
>
> Recall that Christopher II, son of Christopher I the emigrant, married FLORA
> HAWKINS, son of Augustine Hawkins and Susannah Carr, of Baltimore Co MD.
> This couple moved to Lunenberg. From Irene Choate Williams book, if I recall
> correctly, she pretty much lays the deeds of all of us Choates of the South
> at the doorstep of this couple. While children can't be held accountable for
> the sins of their parents, it doesn't work the other way around (vbg).
>
> I need to go and dig out all of my Hawkins information, of which last summer
> I downloaded and copied everything I could find.
>
> This most certainly justifies a little bit of digging, although unfortunately
> it won't impress my kids that much probably. My son is the only one who is
> interested at all and then only to see if he is related to his current
> heroes: Ewan MacGregor of Star Wars (answer is most likely though could be
> 18th cousin or so); Jonathan Davis bagpipe player/singer of rock group KoRn
> (have struck out here, though my post to the Davis list apparently did get
> some listers' youngsters a moments interest in their parent's "hobby").
>
> Janet Hunter --- My line -- Christopher I>Christopher II and Flora Hawkins> ?
> > maybe another ?> Edward Choate and Elizabeth Chowning> Gabriel Choate and
> Lucy Webb>Powhatan Choate and Winney Haley/Whaley>Lucinda Choate and Henry B.
> Byrd.

This thread: