CHOCTAW-L Archives

Archiver > CHOCTAW > 2001-04 > 0986747825

From: Tammy Sharp <>
Subject: Re: [CHOCTAW] Fw: Dawes Commission
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 11:37:05 -0500

My grandpa's allotted land (he was NB440 in the Choctaw tribe) was east of
Duncan in Stephens County. Matter of fact here are his allotment records for
Section 17 in Stephens county.

LAND ALLOTMENTS:

Willis, Sam. Cho. N. B. 440
SW SW 16; SE SW SE; SW NE SE 17; S NE 3-1N-5W. 140.
2-28, 2-23, 5-27, 6-8-07, 2 p. m.
NW NW 21; NE NE 20; SE SE 17-1N-5W. 120. (H).
2-27, 2-21, 5-27, 6-1-07. 3 p. m.

Legend: (H) = homestead; Cho = Choctaw; B=Citizen by blood; M=Citizen by
marriage; N. B. = New Born Roll
Source: Index to Choctaw .. Chickasaw Deeds and Allotments, compiled and
published by E. Hastain, Muskogee, OK, copyright 1908.

My mother still live on this land and gets extremely aggravated when the
Choctaw tribe tells her something is only available for those living in the 10
1/2 counties as she lives on the allotment given to her father....in Stephens
County!

Also I live 1 & 1/2 miles west of Rush Springs and according to my land records
this land was originally deeded to a Choctaw girl....she died and her family
sold the land.

Tammy