CHRISTIAN-L Archives

Archiver > CHRISTIAN > 1997-06 > 0866421251

From: "Vivian T. Cates" <>
Subject: CHRISTIAN/ VIRGINIA/EDGEFIELD DISTRICT, SOUTH CAROLINA
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 19:34:11 -0500

Is anyone researching CHRISTIAN in Edgefield District, South Carolina in
the early 1800's. Were CHRISTIAN and CHRISTIE (various spellings)
different surnames or was CHRISTIE the result of poor spellings by census
taker, etc.?
Two early setters of Edgefield District, South Carolina, were suppose to
have been brothers, William Christian and Gideon Christian, Sr. from
Virginia. William Christian b. 1767-75 m. Tabitha House b. 1770 Brunswick
Co., Virginia. He died Edgefield District, South Carolina about 1807.
Gideon Christian, Sr. b. 16 August 1760 m. Sarah Morse/Morris b. 22 Sept.
1766. The previous information was sent to me by another rsearcher. Most
of their descendents seem to have moved elsewhere by the 1850 Edgefield
census or were women with different surnames.
I have Gideon Christian's will and estate papers from Edgefield
Courthouse. His dau. Sarah m. and died in childbirth by 1826. He died
before Sept. 16, 1821.
Trying to find out if the maiden name of one of my 2-greatgrandmothers was
CHRISTIAN and who her parents were in early Edgefield District, South
Carolina.
SARAH _?_(maybe CHRISTIAN) b. c. 1812-15 S. C. d. after February 25, 1883,
probably in Edgefield District, South Carolina. She married about 1834
WILLIAM CARPENTER, son of Adam Carpenter and Milly/Matilda (maybe
Sheffield), b. c. 1808 d. between 1860-80 in Edgefield District, South
Carolina. Adam Carpenter moved to Edgefield District, South Carolina,
about 1803-4 from Moore County, North Carolina.
Children of William Carpenter and Sarah (maybe Christian) Carpenter were
John(J. M) b. c. 1835 d. Sept. 15, 1915; Isham b. c. 1841-43; William, Jr.
b. c. 1844 d. before Feb. 25, 1883; Ed/Edmund/Edward b. Dec. 25, 1842
(census gives c. 1846) m.c.1884 Emma Frances Whitlock d. July 24, 1916,
Augusta, Richmond County, Georgia; Frances A. b. c.1849 m. before 1882
_?_Murphy; Adam b. c. 1852 d. after Feb. 25, 1883.
The only record that I have found after over 30 years of research that
indicates the maiden name of Sarah as being Christian is the death
certificate of my great grandfather, Ed Carpenter, where my great
grandmother Emma Frances Whitlock Carpenter gave the parents of her
deceased husband as William Carpenter and Sarah CHRISTIAN. Death
certificates were kept by the City of Augusta before being required by the
State of Georgia. Have much more documentation on Carpenters.
Vivian T. Cates, Rt. #2 Box 52-A, Alto, Texas, 75925
1-409-858-3815

This thread: