CHRISTIAN-L Archives

Archiver > CHRISTIAN > 2009-10 > 1256153479

From: ,
Subject: [CHRISTIAN] Christian to Mills marriage? John Mills and MaryChristian? 1760
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 19:31:19 -0000

Author: Cecilia_FabosBecker
Surnames: CHRISTIAN, MILLS
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.christian/2020/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

>From the names used by my John and Mary Mills, I believe Mary to have been Mary Christian a daughter of one of the Christians in what was then Augusta County, I suspect a William Christian, but could be alternatively Gilbert or Israel. My Mary was the second wife of John Mills who was from Augusta County and lived for a time in Lunenburg County and eventually returned to Augusta--what became Botetourt--County. His first wife was named Ann by whom he had at least two children: John Jr. and Ann. As per land records, his first wife died between 1755 and 1760. In 1760 or 1761 he married "Mary"___ who based on the marriage laws of the colony at that time would have been at least 21 when she was married and thus born in about 1740. Soon afterward, John Mills conducted a land transaction between his uncle William Mills and Israel Christian. In fact, the Augusta County records showed several transactions involving members of the Mills and Christian families together. With his!
!
second wife, Mary, John Mills had the following known children: William born in 1764, Rosanna b. 1775/6, Priscilla and Mary called "Molly." In May, 1780, Capt. John Mills was wounded in South Carolina and returned home to Botetourt County where he died in the autumn of that year. In 1782, his widow, Mary ___Mills married John McIntyre/McEntyre, a constable of Botetourt County. It was not a happy marriage and even less happy for the children of John Mills who ended up suing their stepfather for withholding their inheritances.

I noticed that Israel Christian was said to have daughters named Rosannah (this was a definite one--a land record in 1767 states that at that time Israel sold his daughter Rosannah 108 acres for 200 pounds, which by the way says she was born a lot earlier than the DAR has her--she had to be 21 to buy and sell property in her own name--at least 8 years older than the DAR has her), Priscilla and Mary, who is alleged to have married a Trigg.

So, is there any documentation that the daughter, Mary, of Israel is the Mary Christian who married a Trigg, or is she perhaps actually my Mary Mills who gave all of her children names that were in the Israel Christian family? Were these names also in other Christian families, such as that of William?

Any documented help on this is greatly appreciated.

Cecilia L. Fabos-Becker
direct email: (all small letters, no numbers)

Important Note: