CHURCHMEN-UK-L Archives

Archiver > CHURCHMEN-UK > 2006-01 > 1137167795

Subject: Re: [CH-UK] Bishop Taylor-Smith and Kenneth Northcote Crisford.. Can anyone ...
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:56:35 EST

writes:

I have tried to find them on the census but Taylor-Smith is an impossible
name.
I have found Kenneth Crisford in 1901 but I need later information perhaps
and I would love to find out more about his war record as he won a MC.

Hi Dawn,
Kenneth N. Crisford was born in 1888 and died 12th November 1978, Teignmouth
aged 90. He was sometime vicar of St. Saviour, Leeds, vicar of Church of
Good Shepherd, Furnham, rector of Yeovilton, rector of Limington. Licence to
officiate diocese of Exeter. He was ordained Deacon, December 1911, London, and
Priest December 1912. He was a Chaplain to the Forces in WW1, and invested
with the M.C. on September 4th. 1918. He received an M.A. at Cambridge in
February 1922.

Bishop John Taylor Smith was born in 1860 in Kendal, and lived there until
1901. He died at sea on board the SS. Orion, March 28th. 1938, and was buried
at sea. He was ordained in 1885 to the curacy of St. Paul, Upper Norwood. In
1890 he took the appointment of Diocesan Missioner to the Bishop of Sierra
Leone, including the post of canon and sub-dean of St. George's Cathedral,
Freetown. He was made an honorary chaplain to Queen Victoria in 1896. He was
consecrated Bishop of Sierra Leone on Ascension Day 1897.

He was appointed Chaplain-General to the Forces in November 1901. He was
unmarried, and retired in 1925. He was made a C.V.O. in 1906, a C.B. in 1921,
and a K.C.B. in 1925.

I hope that this helps.
Regards Stan Mapstone
www.mapstone.org