CIVIL-WAR-L Archives

Archiver > CIVIL-WAR > 2003-08 > 1060813789

From: "mpruddy" <>
Subject: Re: [CIVIL-WAR] Goldman Bryson
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:29:53 -0500

Here is a message indicating his death from the OR. It also indicates that
he was in command of Tennessee Union Cavalry.
Mike

November 1, 1863.
SIR: On October 27, General Vaughn, with a detachment of his mounted men,
overtook Goldman Bryson, with his company of mounted robbers, in Cherokee
County, N. C., attacked him, killing 2 and capturing 17 men and 30 horses.
On the 28th, I left Murphy with 19 men, taking Bryson's trail through the
mountains; followed him 25 miles, when I came upon him and fired on him,
killing him and capturing 1 man with him. I found in his possession his
orders from General Burnside and his roll and other papers.
My men all acted nobly; marched two days, and without anything to eat.
Yours, respectfully,
C. H. TAYLOR,
Lieutenant, Comdg. Co. B, Infantry Regt., Thomas' Legion.
Lieutenant-Colonel WALKER,
Commanding Battalion, Thomas' Legion.

(Inclosure)
SPECIAL FIELD ORDERS, No. 56.
HDQRS. ARMY or THE OHIO,
Knoxville, East Tenn., October 22, 1863.
[begins with VI -- apparently the rest of the orders were omitted here -mike
ruddy]

VI. Capt. G. Bryson, First Tennessee National Guard, is hereby ordered to
proceed with his command to North Carolina and vicinity, for the purpose of
recruiting, and will return here within a fortnight, when he will report in
person at these headquarters.
By order of Major-General Burnside:
EDWARD M. NEILL,
Major, and Assistant Adjutant-General.
(Indorsement)

[General BRAGG :]
Permit me, general, to recommend to your notice C. H. Taylor, lieutenant,
who commanded the Indians at the killing of Captain Bryson. You will pardon
me, general, in not sending this through the proper channel, as we have no
mails.
W. C. WALKER,
Lieutenant-Colonel, Comdg. Battalion, Thomas' Legion.

> Looking for information on Captain Goldman Bryson's Union Volunteers of
1863.

This thread: