CIVIL-WAR-L Archives

Archiver > CIVIL-WAR > 2013-10 > 1381521550

From: Lila Garner <>
Subject: Re: [CIVIL-WAR] Angus BENWAY aka VALOR
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 19:59:10 +0000

I found this some time ago concerning Union Soldier Simon E. Lewis of New York:

DESCRIPTIVE AND HISTORICAL REGISTER OF ENLISTED SOLDIERS OF THE ARMY. Ancestry.com; time frame 1798-1914;

States enlistment date 23 March 1864 at Buffalo, New York by Capt. King; Birthplace Rouses Point, New York; age 31; sailor; Eyes blue, hair light, complexion fair, height 5 feet 9 inches; 16th Infantry, Company H. Discharged Feb 22 1865 for disability at Desmarres Eye and Ear Hospital, Chicago, Ills. [a word or two at end of line not legible.]

There was a time when I could not find this Register again, and I called Ancestry. I didn't get a specific reason that the DESCRIPTIVE AND HISTORICAL REGISTER OF ENLISTED SOLDIERS OF THE ARMY could no longer be found, but the person I spoke with told me that they sometimes rent databases and they disappear after the rental term expires.

It may pay to try to find this register, which is handwritten in a ledger-style book.

Good luck!

Lila