CLAN-MACKENZIE-L Archives

Archiver > CLAN-MACKENZIE > 2000-05 > 0957849354

From: "David L. Snow" <>
Subject: McKenzie, TN
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 22:15:54 -0700

McKenzie, Carroll County, Tennessee was founded by the descendants of Col.
John D. McKenzie of Virginia.

Eventhough my wife's McKenzies are from the same area in the adjoining
Counties of Benton & Henry, this is not our McKenzie line. However I did
research it while searching for Deb's ancestors.

John McKenzie was a Revolutionary War Colonel who served in the NC, SC & VA
Lines. He was born September 17, 1757 in Albemarle County, Virginia and
lived in Halifax County, Virginia at the time of his enlistment. He applied
for his Revolutionary War pension March 13, 1833 in Carroll County,
Tennessee where he died on November 5, 1842. He married Martha 'Patsy'
Bonner on December 20, 1792 in Washington County, Georgia. Martha was born
January 8, 1775. She subsequently applied for a 'Widow's Pension' on
October 3, 1843 in Carroll County. In 1843, she had 2 living sons:
Jeremiah H., who was born November 6, 1793 and Alexander A., aged 44.

Bethel College, in McKenzie, is associated with the Presbyterian Church and
houses one of the best regional genealogical libraries. Further
information concerning the founding of McKenzie an be viewed at:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~tncarrol/towns/carrmcke.htm

There are indications that John's father was exciled to Virginia after the
Jacobite Rebellion of '15, but I have not proven that. I gave up
researching this line after determining it was not connected to ours.
John's Revolutionary War file is available from the National Archives.

There is more, but John's South Carolina and Georgia connections should be
of interest to some of you.

Hope this helps,

Dave
PS: BTW, the Findon Charts contain additional MacKenzies who immigrated to
South Carolina. Worth a look for some of you.

This thread: