CLAN-MACLAREN-L Archives

Archiver > CLAN-MACLAREN > 2006-07 > 1153532822

From: "robert mclaren" <>
Subject: Clan MacLaren Surname DNA Project
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:47:02 -0400

It's time for an another update on the Clan MacLaren Surname DNA Project.

Genetic genealogy can be a powerful tool and provide help in building our genealogies. My purpose is to use the DNA results as a tool to help sort out the many different MacLaren lines in the Clan files. The results can also be useful to MacLarens in pointing the way toward possible connections and perhaps help indicate where you need to search for paper evidence.

The database of results is slowly growing, but I would like many more MacLarens/McLarens (or any of the other surnames of the Clan including spelling variants) to join the project. The more we have in the database, the more likely it is that we will get matches between members. I am especially interested in getting members from the documented MacLaren lines that are in my files; however, I am also interested in any MacLaren who wants to join. This, of course, includes all the spelling variants of MacLaren.

There are now 119 people in the project: 101 with results back, ten with partial results back, four who have submitted their kits and are waiting on their results, and four who are either waiting for their kits or haven't returned them yet. There have been a number of successes. One member in Scotland matches a member in California 33 out of 37 markers. Another member in New Zealand matches a member in Canada 35/37. The biggest success has been with a group of Lawsons (descended from William Lawson, captured by the English in 1746). A Losson tested and matches them 36/37, so he is related. A number of the Lawsons are working with some Lossons to establish how and where.

Surnames in the project include MacLaren (11 spelling variants), McFeaters (2 spelling variants), Lawrence (2 spelling variants), Law, (2 spelling variants) Low (2 spelling variants), Lawrie, Lowry (4 spelling variants), Lawson (2 spelling variants), MacIntyre, Wright, Cleary, Clary, Patterson (3 spelling variants), Patrick, Petrie, and McRorie.

We have members from the United States, Canada, Scotland, England, Australia, and New Zealand.

I encourage anyone who bears one of the surnames above, or any of the other surnames of Clan MacLaren, to join (if you haven't had a relative closer then second cousin already test).

For those who are concerned about how the DNA sample is acquired, it is just a cheek swab -- very painless.

If you are interested, or have questions, contact me at

Bob McLaren
Chairman, Genealogy Committee, Clan MacLaren Society of North America
Administrator, Clan MacLaren Surname DNA Project

Robert McLaren

Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.

This thread: