CLEMENT-Benjamin-L Archives

Archiver > CLEMENT-Benjamin > 2001-03 > 0985648019

From: "Valkenaar" <>
Subject: [CLEMENT-Benjamin] SC Clements Line
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 18:09:09 -0500

Hi. My name is Michele Valkenaar, and I haven't been active for awhile, but found some info that others in the group might find of interest.

My line is John Clement, through is daughter, Rachel, who married Hamilton Reynolds in SC or GA about 1791. We believe, due to naming patterns, that John is a descendant of the Benjamin line, but we've been working on trying to determine just which John this is, and what, if any link he has to Benjamin.

John Clements will was executed in Pendleton District, SC. In researching the Pendleton District records, I have found the following:

Will abstract from Book A, p. 206 (Anderson/Pickens Co., Old 96th District) for ISAAC CLEMENTS, SR.
Written 30 October 1805. Probated 27 Jan. 1817.

Sons: Aaron, Stephen, Hugh, Isaac, Jr., Daniel, Benjamin.
Dau: Rachel Butterworth
Wife: Ann (Durham/Denham)

Left land -- 636 acres in Pittsylvania Co., VA.

- - - - -

Then, in the early land records for the 96 District, SC, there are the following entries:

JOHN CLEMENS, dated May 1784. 640 acres land situated west of the Old Indian Boundary on both sides of Thomson's Beaver Dam Creek of Tygar River. Bounding N.W. on land laid out unto Joseph Obanion, S.E. on land laid out for Elisha Thomson.

In this same area (Saluda/Tygar River region, around present day Greeneville, SC), are land records from the same period for other names which became associated with the Clements family and which are later found (in 1820) in Lawrence and Giles, Co., TN. These are Reynolds, Hamm and Blassengame.

They all show up in the 1800 census for the Anderson/Pickens Co. area, including various Benjamins, Isaac, John, et. al.

Has anyone clearly identified this John Clemons of SC as a son or grandson of Capt. Benjamin Clements?

Michele

This thread: