CLIFTON-L Archives

Archiver > CLIFTON > 2000-01 > 0949040196

From: <>
Subject: [CLIFTON-L] William Clifton & Sarah Hunter
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 01:16:36 EST

Looking for children/descendants of this William Clifton.

Ancestors of William Clifton

Generation No. 1

1. William Clifton, born 15 Mar 1764 in Albemarle Parish, Sussex Co.,
Virginia; died 16 Mar 1838 in Wake Co., North Carolina. He was the son of 2.
John Clifton and 3. Mary <Sturdivant?>. He married (1) Sarah Hunter 04 Mar
1787 in Wake Co., North Carolina. She was born 1767 in 1842 age 75, and died
Aft. 27 Sep 1848 in Wake Co., North Carolina. She was the daughter of Rubin
Hunter and Sarah Speight.

Notes for William Clifton:
WILLIAM CLIFTON-Wake County Private North Carolina Militia $23.33 Annual
Allowance $69.99 Amount Received MARCH 5, 1833 PENSION STARTED AGE 68
Served from Wake Co., NC under Captain Dredd Jones of the Regt. commanded by
Col. Sanders in the NC Militia for 6 months. Engaged in the battles of
Guilford and Lindley's Mills (13 Sep 1781).
Pension for Revolutionary War Service states, "A native of Virginia, he
removed to this state (NC) at a very early period of his childhood." Signed:
Wm Clifton (his signature) Sworn to as true by John Pool, a soldier of the
Revolutionary War

Abstracts of The Early Deeds of Wake County, NC 1785-1802
by Joseph W. Watson

p.76: p.290 WILLIAM CLIFTON and wife, SARAH CLIFTON, of Wake Co., to William
Walton of same, 2 Sep 1788, for 100 a tract of 400 ac on the S side of Swift
Creek and N side of Guffys Savannah adj John Smith & Joseph Brit, it being a
grant from the State of NC to said WILLIAM CLIFTON by deed bearing date 28
OCt 1782.
Wit: Simon Turner, Abram Hogins, Timothy Walton

p.138: p.40 Thomas Simkins of Wake Co., to WILLIAM CLIFTON of same, 12 Mar
1798 for 26 10 sh. specie a tract of 47 1/2 ac adj JOHN CLIFTON and said
WILLIAM CLIFTON Wit: WILLIAM STURDIVANT, JOEL CLIFTON

Notes for Sarah Hunter:
Paid $20.00 per annum on Rev. Pension

Marriage Notes for William Clifton and Sarah Hunter:
Rev. War File: Marriage Bond date; 19 Feb 1787
William Clifton and Sarah Hunter
Bondsmen: William Clifton, John Rice

Generation No. 2

2. John Clifton, born 22 Mar 1739/40 in Albemarle Parish, Surry Co.,
Virginia; died Bef. 14 Feb 1806 in Wake Co., NC. He was the son of 4.
William Clifton and 5. Charity. He married 3. Mary <Sturdivant?>Bef. 1764 in
Prob Surry or Sussex Co., Virginia.
3. Mary

Notes for John Clifton:
Wake County May Term 1806 In the Name of God, Amen.
I, JOHN CLIFTON, being at this time afflicted in body but of a sound disposing
mind and memory, thanks be to God for the same, do make and ordain this my
last will and testament that is to say first: I give my soul to God and my
body to the earth to be desently buried at the discretion of my friends, as to
my worldy property I do hereby dispose of in the following manner to wit:
Item: I give to my wife WINNEY CLIFTON during her lifetime or widowhood the
following articles or property herein mentioned. One feather bed and furniture
one bedsteed the furniture consisting of four sheets & two homespun bed
covers or counterpins, two hides, one spinning & wooling wheel & cards, two
Christs, two iron ports & skilet one pair of pot hooks, seven puter plates,
four
basons, one dish, two flat irons, her water vessels, knives and forks and
knifebox, four shears, one crossledged table, one loom & gears, one hogshead
and all the cotten and flax and as much of the old earthen ware as she wants,
one cow and yearling and the stear, two ewes and lambs & bell and all the
hogs, two bread trays, meal barrel and sifter, pair of fire tongs one cider
barrel and weeding hoes, one ax & all the gees, all which articles or the
remaining part of them at the death or marriage of my wife, I give & bequeath
to my daughter JACKBINAH and her heirs forever. Item: I give and bequeath to
my daughter JACKBINAH and her heirs forever two hundred dollars and the red
cow and her increes to be delivered to her when maried or comes of age and if
there be any remaining I give and bequeath to JOHN JOHNES son of SARAH JOHNES
twenty five dollars to give him larning at the discretion of my son AZEL
CLIFTON who I appoint for that purpose and my exectuor of this my last will
and testament and after the above mentioned leacys if there be a remaner I
give it to my wife WINNEY and this I acknowledge to be my last will and
Testament in winess whereof I have herunto set my hand and seal this 14th day
of February in the year of our Lord 1806. Signed sealed and acknowledged in
the presents of George Vance, Jurat. Signed: John X Clifton (his mark)

Abstract of Wake Co., NC Will Book 7 1804-1808
CLIFTON, John dec'd Estate Sale Aug 1806 p 176
Buyers 14 Jun 1806 Seth Porch, Wm STURDIVANT, Geo Nance,
Johnston Busbey, Azel CLIFTON, Joel CLIFTON, James LEWIS,
Theophilus HUNTER, James Peters, William CLIFTON, John Parnal,
Jno Busbey, Philip SWANSON, Widow CLIFTON Exor: A(zel) CLIFTON

Abstract of Wake Co., NC Will Book B 1808-1809
Clifton, John dec'd Acct current Aug 1808 p 106
Exor. Azil CLIFTON, paid, Geo Nance, Joh Dobe Money from:
Richard King, Willis Medling, Drury Medlin, John Ellis,
Matthew Jordan, Azil CLIFTON, Thomas Pair, Seth Porch,
HOLLOMON STURDIVANT, Geo Nance, Haley Dupree
Comm: Willie Jones, Jno Whitaker, John Curtis

This census is from Microcopy No. T-498 Roll 2
1790 census North Carolina Wake County Morgan District
1st # free white males 16 year upwards and head of Families
2nd # free white males under 16 years
3rd # free white females and head of families
4th # all other free persons
5th # slaves

Clifton, John............................2-1-3-0-0
Clifton, William......................1-0-3-0-0

1800
John Clifton Wake Co., NC 00001-10001-00

Notes for Mary:
Maiden name may be "Sturdivant"

Hollom STURDIVANT
Sex: M
Christening: 10 Apr 1763
Albemarle Parish, Surry, Virginia
Parents:
Father: Hollom STURDIVANT
Mother: Mary
Hollom STURDIVANT
Sex: M
Spouse: Drusilla HOBBS
Marriage: 22 Nov 1788
Sussex, Virginia

Mary Epes STIRDEVENT
Sex: F
Birth: 18 Jan 1750
Bristol Parish, Prince George, Virginia
Parents:
Father: John STIRDEVENT
Mother: Ann

Children of John Clifton and Mary are:
1 i. William Clifton, born 15 Mar 1764 in Albemarle
Parish, Sussex Co., Virginia; died 16 Mar 1838 in Wake Co., North Carolina;
married Sarah Hunter 04 Mar 1787 in Wake Co., North Carolina.
ii. John Clifton, born 26 Aug 1765 in Albemarle Parish, Surry Co.,
Virginia; died Bet. 1830 - 1840 in Hardin Co., Tennessee; married Sp Abt.
1786.

Notes for John Clifton:
Abstracts of The Early Deeds of Wake County, NC 1785-1802
by Joseph W. Watson

p. 176: p.343 JOHN CLIFTON of Wake Co., to JOEL CLIFTON of same Oct 17, 1797
for
200 specie a tract of 300 ac lying on both sides of the head of White Oak
Creek adj STURDIVANT (Formerly Tomkins). Wit: AZEL CLIFTON, HOLLUM STURDIVANT

iii. Mary Clifton, born 22 Jan 1767 in Albemarle Parish, Sussex
Co., Virginia.
iv. Elizabeth Clifton, born 17 Aug 1768 in Sussex, Virginia.
v. Azel Clifton, born 23 Jan 1770 in Albemarle Parish, Sussex Co.,
Virginia; died 1821 in Johnston Co., North Carolina; married Sarah Pool 08
Dec 1796 in Johnston Co., North Carolina; born Abt. 1775; died Unknown.

Notes for Azel Clifton:
Izel Clifton Wake Co., NC 723 10100-00100-00 1800
Joel Clifton Johnston Co., NC 275 1810
1820 census Johnston Co., NC 320101 . 10100

Wake Co., NC Abstracts of Wills, Inventories, and Settlements of Estates
1771-1802
by Frances Holloway Wynne Oracle Press Baton Rouge 1984

CLIFTON, Orphan Acct current May 1812 p 241
In account with Azel CLIFTON guardian of orphan
of John CLIFTON deceased paid for watering 5 head
of cattle; rec'd from sale of beef (orphan unnamed) 13 May 1812
Comm: W Fennel, Willie Jones, Johnson Busbee

Notes for Sarah Pool:
Wake Co., NC Abstracts of Wills, Inventories, and Settlements of Estates
1771-1802 by Frances Holloway Wynne Oracle Press Baton Rouge 1984

POOL, Orphans Acct current May 1812 p 243
William, Lewis, Ranson and Molsey, orphans of Lewis POOL,
deceased in account with Osborn Lockhart guardian paid;
for clothing, schooling; Robert Powell for casket; Dr Wm H Williams;
for burial of Negro woman [unnamed]; rec'd from hire of Negro
[unnamed]. 12 May 1812 Comm: W Fennel, Willie Jones, Johnson Busbee

Marriage Notes for Azel Clifton and Sarah Pool:
Marriage Index: KY, NC, TN, VA, WV, 1728-1850

Clifton, Azel Spouse : Pool, Sarry
Marriage date : 8 Dec 1796

vi. Joseph Clifton, born 17 Nov 1771 in Albemarle Parish, Surry Co.,
Virginia.

Generation No. 3

4. William Clifton, born Abt. 1700 in Perhaps Prince George Co.,
Virginia; died Abt. 13 Sep 1756 in Sussex Co., Virginia Will date. He was
the son of 8. Thomas? Clifton and 9. Mary. He married 5. Charity 1730 in
Martins Brandon, Prince George, Virginia.
5. Charity, born in Perhaps Prince George Co., Virginia; died in Sussex
Co., Virginia.

Notes for William Clifton:
There is a will for a William CLIFTON whose will was probated 13 Sep 1756 Bk
A Pg 57 in Sussex County in which he names his sons, William and John.

"Cavaliers and Pioneers" Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants
Vol 5: 1741-1749
William CLIFTON: 200 acs. Surry Co., on th S side of Nottoway River., Beg in
the Frying Pan Br: Adj Henry Sturdivant, William Bridges, Robert Tucker & Mr.
Howell Briggs. 20 May 1742 pg 292 1.

Thomas CLIFTON, 140 acs. Surry Co. on th S side of the main Black Water SW.
Adj. Capt William Brown: 30 Jul 1752 p. 74 15 shillings.

Marriage Notes for William Clifton and Charity:
LDS IGI

Children of William Clifton and Charity are:
i. William Clifton, born 28 Aug 1736 in Albemarle
Parish, Sussex Co., Virginia; died Bet. 1778 - 1779 in Valley Forge,
Pennsylvania; married Sarah Abt. 1762 in Surry Co., Virginia; born Abt. 1746
in Prob Surry or Sussex Co., Virginia; died Deceased in Prob Wake Co., North
Carolina.

2 ii. John Clifton, born 22 Mar 1739/40 in Albemarle Parish, Surry Co.,
Virginia; died Bef. 14 Feb 1806 in Wake Co., NC; married (1) Mary Bef. 1764
in Prob Surry or Sussex Co., Virginia; married (2) Winney.

Generation No. 4

8. Thomas? Clifton, died in Perhaps 1724, Prince George Co., Virginia.
He married 9. Mary.
9. Mary

Child of Thomas? Clifton and Mary is:
4 i. William Clifton, born Abt. 1700 in Perhaps Prince
George Co., Virginia; died Abt. 13 Sep 1756 in Sussex Co., Virginia Will
date; married Charity 1730 in Martins Brandon, Prince George, Virginia.

Thank you,
Dianna German Anderson

This thread: