CLINE-L Archives

Archiver > CLINE > 1999-04 > 0922983361

From: "Cindy" <>
Subject: It took me forever to transcribe, just wanted to share it with someone LOL
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 16:16:01 -0000

The words in parenthesis are the way I read it, but it doesn't make too much
sense, so it's probably not the word. This will was several pages long and
looks like a couple of the pages sustained some rippage at one point and was
taped thereby reducing the ink under the tape to an illegible pile of
schmush...that would be the (???) notations.

Last Will and Testament of Jacob Cline
Pike County, Kentucky

I Jacob Cline of the county of Logan and state of Virginia do hereby make my
last will and testament in (manner) and (fair) to wit that is to (cage)

1st, I will and bequeath to my daughter Mary Hunt a tract of land lying and
being in the county of Pike and State of Kentucky and on Peter Creek and
bounded as follows to wit: beginning at a conditional line made by myself at
the upper end of William T. Cline’s land on a branch of (Summs) in a bend of
Peter Creek on the upper side thence at the upper end of an island near the
upper end of the Long Bottom also (four) borders a maple and (Sommwood) side
of Peter Creek at the mouth of a small hollow first hollow above the end of
the long bottom thence running up said creek including all the land I hold,
on said creek to each back line up to a certain conditional line made by Wm
T Cline which is an oak standing at the mouth of the Church Branch thence
with the (???) branch to the back lines of my land on said creek to her
during her natural life and then to her heirs forever

2nd I give to my daughter Jane Cline a tract of land on Peter’s Creek
bordered as (???). To wit beginning (???) conditional line made at the upper
(???) above mentioned track (??) running up said creek including all the
land I hold on said creek up to a conditional line made by Wm T Cline which
is (posted) on (?? Spruce) or beech near a cliff thence) (???) on both sides
to the back lines of my lands to her during her natural life and then to her
heirs forever.

3rd I give my daughter Martha F McCoy a tract of land on Peters Creek
beginning at a conditional line made by Wm T Cline for a line of division
between Jane Cline and said Martha F McCoy hence running up the said creek
to two beeches standing on the bank of the creek thence down the creek to a
large spruce pine and beech standing at the upper end of a cliff then
straight up the hill to the back lines of my lands on Peters Creek to her
during her natural life then to her heirs forever.

4th I give to my son Peter Cline at tract of land on Peter Creek bounded as
follows to wit: beginning on the next above mentioned line division between
Martha F McCoys tract and Peter Cline’s tract thence running up said tract
including all the land I hold on said creek to the mouth of the Rockhouse
Branch thence running with the head of said branch to the back line and
running across the creek and up (???) to back lines of my lands to him and
his heirs forever.

5th I give to my daughter Elizabeth Hatfield a tract of land (??) on Peter
Creek and (???) follow to wit, Beginning at the (???) at the upper end of
Peter Clines (???) running up the creek including all the land I hold on
said creek above (???) lines to her during her natural life and then to her
heirs forever.

6th I give to my son Jacob Cline all the land I hold, on Tug River in Pike
County, Ky above the mouth of Peter Creek to him and his heirs forever.

7th. I give to my sons Pearey and Jacob Cline a tract of land in Logan
County on Tug River bounded as follows to wit Beginning at two maples about
one quarter of a mile above the mouth of Grapevine Creek thence out to the
top of the Ridge thence wit the top of the ridge to the river at the lower
end of my land on said Tug River including all the land I hold on the river
with said lines up Grapevine all I hold on said creek including below said
lines to Peery and Jacob Cline in (Copascinary) to them and their heirs
forever.

9th (this is clearly 8th but miswritten by the clerk) I give to my son Wm T
Cline a tract of land on Peter Creek by deed of gift which deed will show
the boundaries to him and his heirs forever.

9th I give to my son Peary H. Cline a tract of land on Tug River in Logan
County and state of Virginia bounded as follows to wit Beginning at two
maples standing about 1 quarter of a mile above the south of Grapevine Creek
thence running up the river including all the land I hold on the river up to
Jackson Mounts line to him and his heirs forever.

10th I give to my daughter Nancy Davis two hundred and fifty dollars to be
paid by Perry and Jacob Cline for her dower in my lands given to my two sons
Jacob and Perry to be paid 2 years after they are twenty one years old to
her and her heirs forever.

11th I give to my two sons Perry and Jacob Cline my three negro slaves
Moses, Harry and Charlotte and I also appoint W.T. Cline as agent to manage
and oversee the above named slaves and I desin (sic) him to cover thence to
stay at my home farm and for him to labour for the support and take care of
my three children until they become of age and further I empower the said
William T Cline to sell the said slaves if they refuse to labour and become
wasteful or and likely to destroy the effects of my personal estate and if
the said slaves shall be sold, I desire the money arising from said sales to
be divided equally between my two sons Peary Cline and Jacob Cline.

12th I give to my four sons equal shares of all the moneys and cash I have
on hand at my decease and all debts and bonds I hold against individuals of
whatsoever kind I give to my two sons Peary Cline and Jacob Cline to be
divided equally between them at my decease.

13th I give to my two sons Peary Cline and Jacob Cline after my death all my
personal property of whatsoever kind it may be after paying all my just
debts and defraying my funeral expenses. I desire that said personal part of
my estate be divided equally between my two above named sons Jacob and Peary
to them and their heirs forever.

Lastly I do hereby constitute and appoint E. F. Tiller my lawful executor of
this my last will and testament as further I appoint said E F Tiller
guardian for to take care and charge of my children who are under age said
appointment to take effect at my decease. I hereby revoke all former wills
and testaments by me heretofore made. In witness (whence) I have hereunto
set my hand and affixed my seal this thirtieth day of March A.C. Eighteen
Hundred and Fifty Eight.

Signed Sealed Published and delivered (???) by

Jacob Cline as and for his last will and testament
In the presents (sic) and hearing of us who
have subscribed Our names as witness Jacob Cline (SEAL)

Charles Mounts
Robert E Howard
Michael Mounts

At Logan County Court April (2nd) 1858 the last will and testament of Jacob
Cline deceased was produced and admitted to record.

Copy teste
Wm Stratton

This thread: