CLOUGH-L Archives

Archiver > CLOUGH > 1998-08 > 0902168337

From: Pete and Nan West <>
Subject: [CLOUGH-L] Virginia Cloughs
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 13:18:57 -0500

I appreciate the responses to my initial query on my Virginia Clough ancestors.

My Clough lineage is as follows:
George Clough died in 1711. He was clerk of New Kent Co., VA. Was
listed in 1691 as one of the headrights imported by Mr. John
Buckner of Gloucester Co. Some records say they came from Wales.
Richard Clough I 1690-ca. 1651= Ann Poindexter. Record of St.
Peter's Parish, New Kent Co., gives their marriage date as
June 1718.
Richard Clough II b. ca. 1720-25=Ann Booker. Booker family records
also confirm this information.
Ann Booker Clough b. ca. 1735/45; d. ca. 1814 = John Overton,
Revolutionary Soldier. They resided in Louisa Co., VA, then in
Rockingham Co., NC until her death. Several of their children
migrated to Kentucky.

I'm still hoping to find someone who has more information about the
colonial Cloughs in Virginia, although I doubt if many records exist,
because all these families resided in the "burned counties." In fact, all
the related families have acknowledged the unfortunate dearth of records.
It was said that by 1861 the Clough name in Virginia had become almost extinct.

Will be grateful for any help.

Nan Overton West

This thread: