CLOUGH-L Archives

Archiver > CLOUGH > 1998-08 > 0902516479

From: <>
Subject: Re: [CLOUGH-L] Chester Clough
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 15:01:19 EDT

In a message dated 98-08-07 09:32:49 EDT, RobKasten writes:

> My Clough dropped out of the sky so to say also but landed in Chigrin Falls
> OH. Roswell Eaton Clough was born about 1825. A lot of people left Vermont
> after the 1815-16 no summer in Vermont. They had snow and frost in August
> and distroyed crops. not a fun time. The other problem is that OH was not a
> state yet and the part where Chigrin Falls was actually was part of
> Massachuestts. ( out side Cleveland) In my research I had thought Roswell's
> father was a Dexter or Chester but cannot prove it. They named one of their
> sons Dexter. Roswell married Fedielia Smith. and the farm next door was the
> Eaton's.
> Sorry I cann't help you yet but I'll keep your name on file for reference.

I live in Ohio and am familiar with where Chagrin Falls is. It is just on the
eastern edge of Cuyahoga county next to Geauga County. There was a Chester
Cluff and a Jeffry Cluff in Geauga Cty Census in 1830 and a Chester Clough and
Jerre Clough in Geauga Cty in 1820. I believe this is the Chester Clough that
is on Gail Buckler's web site that was born in 1797 in NY. Chagrin Falls is
about 10-15 miles from Chardon Twp, where these guys were. Sounds like these
might be your Cloughs, huh? I haven't looked up the census records since I
knew my Cluffs were in Licking Co by then.

Hope this helps,

Karen Bujak
PO Box 655
Wadsworth OH 44282