COATES-L Archives

Archiver > COATES > 2007-04 > 1177366455

From: "Ray Hammarlund" <>
Subject: Re: [COATES] DNA success story
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:14:15 -0500

My interest in the coat, coates ancestry is in hopes of finding the
connection between my Thornton line and the Coats line. My ancestor, Sarah
Thornton who married David Bayles in Virginia in ca 1782, had a child they
named Coats Bayles, and when they moved with all their possessions up the
Ohio River, and finally settled in Champaign Co., Ohio, a Coats Thornton
moved to Champaign Co., oh. ca the same time. A history of the Bayles
family that I own states: "Since David Bayles and his wife, Sarah Thornton
named one of their sons Coats, it is probable that they were closely
related. Coats Thornton, James Coats Thornton's father, had lived at Point
Pleasant, W. Va., and in 1810 moved to Champaign Co., ohio, that is the same
year David Bayles and family went from Ice's Ferry, (monongalia Co., W. Va.)
to the same county."

david and Sarah's son, David Bayles and his wife, Jane Victor, named one of
their sons Coats Bayles, also. I would definitely find the connection
between the Coats and Thornton family!!! If you know of such a connection I
would be most grateful for the information. I am wondering if Coats
Thornton and is father are related to the Thornton's that settled on Coat's
Prairie in Missouri?

Sincerely,

Dorothy Hammarlund