COBB-L Archives

Archiver > COBB > 1997-12 > 0882564171

From: "Barry Wakelin" <>
Subject: COBBEs of Wybunbury, Cheshire, England
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 20:42:51 -0000

------=_NextPart_000_0057_01BD0CBE.AC640EC0

Hello

I am a new subscriber to this mailing list. I am researching the COBBEs =
of Walgherton, Wybunbury & Hough in the county of Cheshire, England. =
They were Gentry living at Walgherton hall, Manor Farm and Dove House =
Farm at various times. I have traced them to 1663 when William Cobbe =
married Ellianor Trevis of Shavington. I suspect that William Cobbe =
came from Staffordshire. Various clues suggest this but I have not yet =
made any connections.

I was born in Wybunbury and my Grandmother's mother was the last COBBE =
to live in the village. Her great uncle had drunk and squandered the =
family fortunes! Wybunbury is quite rich in COBBE associations. There =
is a lane called COBBE's LANE and an area of land named COBBEs MOSS. =
Carved into the battlements of the church tower is the graffiti: T. =
COBBE. The family were quite influential in the locality at one time.

If anyone is researching the same family it would be great to share =
info. Some of the Cobbes went to live in Helsby, nr Frodsham, Cheshire.

I have traced (with the assistance of a fellow researcher) the ancestors =
of Ellianor Trevis (who married the first William Cobbe) back to circa =
1470 & possibly to 1066 if a link can be made with the Lancashire =
Travers from whom Hamlet Travis, the ancestor b.c.1470, claimed descent.

I am also researching various names in Hampshire and have noticed many =
COBBs living in the county. Parishes I am searching include: =
Selbourne, Buriton & Petersfield.

I do hope there is someone out there who is looking for a 'lost' William =
COBBE in Staffordshire (poss. Lichfield) who can help me trace my =
ancestor.

Regards

Liz Wakelin

------=_NextPart_000_0057_01BD0CBE.AC640EC0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#d8d0c8>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Hello</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I am a new subscriber to this =
mailing=20
list.&nbsp; I am researching the COBBEs of Walgherton, Wybunbury & =
Hough in=20
the county of Cheshire, England.&nbsp; They were Gentry living at =
Walgherton=20
hall, Manor Farm and Dove House Farm at various times.&nbsp; I have =
traced them=20
to 1663 when William Cobbe married Ellianor Trevis of Shavington.&nbsp; =
I=20
suspect that William Cobbe came from Staffordshire.&nbsp; Various clues =
suggest=20
this but I have not yet made any connections.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I was born in Wybunbury and my Grandmother's mother =
was the=20
last COBBE to live in the village.&nbsp; Her great uncle had drunk and=20
squandered the family fortunes!&nbsp; Wybunbury is quite rich in COBBE=20
associations.&nbsp; There is a lane called COBBE's LANE and an area of =
land=20
named COBBEs MOSS.&nbsp; Carved into the battlements of the church tower =
is the=20
<FONT color=3D#000000>graffiti</FONT>: T. COBBE.&nbsp; The family were =
quite=20
influential in the locality at one time.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>If anyone is researching the same family it would be =
great to=20
share info.&nbsp; Some of the Cobbes went to live in Helsby, nr =
Frodsham,=20
Cheshire.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I have traced (with the assistance of a fellow =
researcher) the=20
ancestors of Ellianor Trevis (who married the first William Cobbe) back =
to circa=20
1470 & possibly to 1066 if a link can be made with the Lancashire =
Travers=20
from whom Hamlet Travis, the ancestor b.c.1470, claimed =
descent.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I am also researching various names in Hampshire and =
have=20
noticed many COBBs living in the county.&nbsp; Parishes I am searching=20
include:&nbsp; Selbourne, Buriton & Petersfield.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I do hope there is someone out there who is looking =
for a=20
'lost' William COBBE in Staffordshire (poss. Lichfield) who can help me =
trace my=20
ancestor.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Regards</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Liz Wakelin</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0057_01BD0CBE.AC640EC0--

This thread: