COLE-L Archives

Archiver > COLE > 2001-06 > 0992619600

From: "BM_Bunce" <>
Subject: Re: Samuel & Caleb Cole
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 09:40:00 -0600

Hi Roger. I don't know if this will help you or not. I am
descended from Robert Cole, who came to the Massachusetts Bay Colony with
the Winthrop Fleet in 1630, and later was one of 13 colonists who founded
the Providence Plantation. Below is what I have on one of his descendants.
My sources are: (1) The Genealogical Dictionary of Rhode Island,
comprising three generations of settlers who came before 1690 (with many
generations carried to the fourth generation) by John Osborne Austin,
published 1887, reprinted with additions 1969, 1978, 1982, by Genealogical
Publishing Co., Baltimore, Md., (with additions and corrections from The
American Genealogist magazine articles by G. Andrew Moriarty), pp. 50-51
Line of Robert Cole) (2) The Great Migration Begins by Robert Anderson ©
1995 New England Historic Genealogical Society, in three volumes, Vol. 1,
pp. 435-439, section on Robert Coles; (3) The MacDonough-Hackstaff Ancestry
by Rodney MacDonough, published 1901, Boston, Mass., Press of Samuel Usher,
pp. 443-457, section on Robert Coles.

Robert Cole, b.ca. 1598-1605, in one of several places, i.e. Berghold,
County Suffolk; Sudbury, County Suffolk; or Navestock, County Essex,
England. Was apparently married twice to two women named Mary, since his
first 3 children were grown and married by the time of his death. His first
wife had probably died by 1637 and he married Mary Hawkshurst, dau. of
Samson Hawkshurst, Vicar of Nuneaton, Warwickshire, England, and also a
sister of Christopher Hawxhurst, who came with her from England in 1630.
Note, neither the MacDonough-Hackstaff Ancestry nor The Great Migration
begins has a daughter named Elizabeth attributed to Robert Cole, but her
name is in the Genealogical Dictionary of Rhode Island. The birthdates
differ from source to source, so I have entered those from "The Great
Migration Begins."

Children by Mary _____, first wife:

1. John Cole, b.ca. 1630, d. before 1683 (my ancestor) m. Ann ______ who m.
2nd William Lynes in 1683

2. Elizabeth Cole(s) (b.ca. 1631- d. ?) m. John Townsend, son of John &
Elizabeth (____) Townsend

3. Deliverance Cole (b. ca. 1632, ca. 1658) m. by 1652 Richard Townsend, son
of John & Elizabeth (____) Townsend

4. Ann Cole(s) (b.ca. 1634- ) m. by 1653 to Henry Townsend, son of John &
Elizabeth (_____) Townsend

Children by Mary Hauxhurst/Hawkshurst (1601-1656), 2nd wife

5. Daniel Cole (b.1637, d. 1692) m. by ca. 1662 Mahkrshallalhashbaz Gorton,
dau. of Samuel & Elizabeth (_____) Gorton

6. Nathaniel Cole (b.ca. 1642- d. ?) m. 30 Aug 1667 (1) Martha Wright
(probably last name was Jackson per Great
Migration Begins), dau. of Nicholas & Ann (____) Wright? (from Gene
Dict. of RI), who d. 17 Dec 1668; m.
(2) Deborah ________
Children by first wife:
Nathaniel Cole, b. 24 Aug 1668
Children by second wife:
Caleb
Harvey
Deborah, b. 16 Dec 1694

Nathaniel Cole had confirmation with his brothers Daniel, Robert and
two others of land by patent from Governor
Andros of lands at Oyster Bay, Long Island, New York, 10 Nov 1692. He
deeded land at Duck Pond to sons
Caleb and Harvey. They deeded the same to their half-brother
Nathaniel, Jr. 29 Mar 1703. [Source: Gene.
Dictionary of Rhode Island.]

7. Robert Cole(s) (1644-1715) m. 1 Jan 1670 Mercy Wright (d. 1708- ), dau.
of Nicholas & Ann (_____) Wright

8. Sarah Cole (b.ca. 1646, d.? ) m. Thomas Townsend (son of John and
Elizabeth (_____) Townsend) (source:
MacDonough-Hackstaff Ancestry, p. 455)

It was interesting to me to see that Nathaniel Cole had a son named
Caleb. Could he be YOUR Caleb, who possibly had a son named Samuel, who in
turn named a son Caleb after his own father? The sons of Nathaniel Cole had
moved to Oyster Bay, Long Island, New York but I don't know how far that
might be from Wappingers Falls. Just a thought.