COLLETT-L Archives

Archiver > COLLETT > 2012-05 > 1336006107

From: Barry Collett <>
Subject: [COLLETT] Collett-Hoskins-Beall -- Prince George's Co., MD 1750s
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 20:48:27 -0400 (EDT)

The Hoskins family of Southeast Kentucky descend from the Prince George's Co., MD BEALL and MOORE families...earliest records record the surname as HOSKINSON in MD through the 1750s....by the 1760s in records in Bedford Co., VA, the name is now written as HOSKINS.

By 1778, Richard Collett was taxed directly next to John HOSKINS...as well as near other Hoskins brothers, Josiah, Jesse, Ninian (Ning)...these families carried on the same names, including that of the progenitor (Ninian Beall).

These Hoskins families later migrate to the Yellow Creek area of Knox County, Kentucky circa 1800...same family....I also have them in misc. TN land records buying and selling land. Wm Collett then shows up by 1802 and is taxed amongst these same Hoskins families in Knox Co., KY, until he moves up to the Redbird area of Clay County, Kentucky in 1808 (some 25 miles up the Cumberland Gap). The Hoskins family remains on Yellow Creek a few years longer.

By 1820, John Hoskins, Jr. moves up near Wm Collett in that year...showing up in both the tax and census of 1820. However, Wm Collett's sons, Henry Collett b. 1797 and Samuel Collett b. 1800 continue to interact with these same Hoskins families of Harlan Co., KY and Clay Co., KY....moving back and forth with land adjoining them...buying it from them...and selling to the same Hoskins families...including Samuel Collett b. 1800 marrying Nancy Hoskins in the 1820s.

Thus, provided below are citations of:
1778 Richard Collett taxed with John Hoskins Sr. and his brothers in Washington Co., NC (area adjoining NC/TN/VA on Roan Creek)...
1802 William Collett shows up amongst the very same John Hoskins Sr. and his brothers...taxed just a day apart in that first year in Knox Co., KY
1820s-1840s...Collett and Hoskins neighbors and interacting in both Harlan and Clay Co., KY...including and 1830 Jefferson Co., TN listing with Samuel Collett directly next to Rachel (Hoskins) Davis (widow of John Davis)....by 1840, Rachel Hoskins returns to Harlan Co., KY near her father Thomas Hoskins, while Samuel Collett returns to Clay Co., KY near John Hoskins, Jr. and the Collett families.

Anyway, generation after generation of continued family connections between the same Hoskins and Collett families....1778, with a gap of 24 years....1802-1807...with a gap of 13 more years...1820 onwards in multiple counties in TN and KY...

These Hoskins brothers were the sons of Thomas Hoskinson and Ann Beall of Prince George's Co., MD. Ironically, I have found citations of a widow, Elizabeth Collett, marrying John Orme...probably circa 1750/1751 Prince George's Co., MD (daughter born July 1752). Not only did John Orme remarry a Mrs. Lucy Beall...but, his grandmother was Jane Beall, who, like the Hoskinson familiy, descend from Ninian Beall. These families, like the Hoskins and Collett family in TN and KY 1778 onwards, continue to intermarry.

I have provided citations below. My biggest question is: "Who was the widow, Elizabeth Collett, married?" She should be born 1722-1730 based on her second husband's birth of 1721/1722 and that she remarried by 1751. Did she have any children by her previous marriage? Who was her husband? Her husband would have been a COLLETT.

Thoughts and/or comments welcomed. Here are my citations below:

Colonial Families of the United States of America, Volume II

Page 563

The progenitor of the Maryland and Georgia families of ORME was the Rev. John ORME, V.D.M., son of Moses Orme of Derbyshire, Eng., who was b. in Wiltshire, England, 21st Jan. 1691, as appears by the register in England, and was sent over by the London ministers and received by the Presbyterian Synod in Philadelphia, 26th Sept. 1720. Settled at Marlboro on the Patuxent, Prince George's Co., Md. Will probated 24th Aug. 1758. m. by Rev. Hugh CONN, 14th Mar. 1720, to Ruth EDMONSTON, b. 22nd Sept. 1705, dau. of Col. Archibald EDMONSTON of Calvert Co., Md., by his wife, Jane BEALL, dau. of Col. Ninian and Ruth (MOORE) BEALL of Prince George's Co., Md.

ISSUE

I. John, b. 13th Feb. 1721-2; m. (firstly) Elizabeth COLLET (widow); m. (secondly) Mrs. Lucy BEALL.

Colonial Families of the United States descended from the immigrants who arrived before 1700

Page 94

Thomas Beall m. Sept. 26, 1773 Ann or Nancy, b. July 29, 1752, at Upper Marlboro, d. 1827, dr of John Orme, b. 1722, and widow Elizabeth Collet.

Ancestral Records and Portraits, Vol. II

Page 468

Their son, John Orme, born 1722, married first Elizabeth Collett, a widow, and second, Lucy Beall, a widow. His daughter Ann or Nancy (first wife), married Thomas Beall of Geo Esq.

Hoskinson/Hoskins

Thomas Hoskinson, Jr. b. ca 1713 married Ann Beall b. ca 1722 on March 5, 1740 Rock Creek Parish, Prince George Co., MD

Daughter: Priscilla Hoskinson b. March 5, 1741 Rock Creek Parish, Prince George Co., MD
Son: John Hoskinson b. March 9, 1743 Rock Creek Parish, Prince George Co., MD
Son: Jesse Hoskinson b. Oct. 29, 1745 Rock Creek Parish, Prince George Co., MD
Son: King Ninian Hoskinson b. Nov. 5, 1747 Rock Creek Parish, Prince George Co., MD
Son: Josiah Hoskinson b. Nov. 16, 1749 Rock Creek Parish, Prince George Co., MD
Daughter: Anna Hoskinson b. April 18, 1753 Rock Creek Parish, Prince George Co., MD

(Transcribed by Barry Collett: Bedford Co., VA Court Orders)
April 1761 Court, Bedford Co., VA
Read v. Hoskins (only surnames listed)

Sep 1761, Bedford Co., VA
Read v. Hoskins

June 22, 1762
page 46
Ordered by the Churchwardens of Rusel (sic Russell) Parish bind out out Ning & Josias Hoskins according to Law

Ordered by the Churchwardens of Rusel Parish bind out Elias Hoskins & Nancy Hoskins according to Law

Washington County List of Taxables - 1778
(Returned to B. Wilson Esq.)

*Note: This is the area that was on Roane Creek in extreme northeast Washington Co., NC/TN
*Note: *** appears on both lists

Richard White
Richard Wooldridge
Andrew Bunton
Jo- Certain
Carlos Hoskins
George Tidwell
Nath'l Durram***
Zekel Brown***
John Grimes
-on Maulden
William Flanary
Phillip Shelly
Samuel Tate
Samuel Denny***
Amos Garrett
Leonard Morgan***
John Higgins
James Maulden
Edward Sweeten
Charles Asher
James Coleson
James Coward***
John Hoskins
Richard Collett***
Joseph Gentry
Elijah Abbott***
Josiah Hoskins
Henry Grimes
Jesse Hoskins
James Certain
William Griffin
Ning Hoskins
Richd Willson
Benjamin Willson
John Davis
Henry Rains***
Benjamin Ward
Charles Asher Sen
David Hicks
Thomas Asher
John Asher
Hueins Heatherly
Joshua Curtis
David Curtis
George Hatherly
Samuel Hatherly
James Oweings
John Arnold
Wm Renolds
Timothy Holdway***
John Tidwell
Wm Asher
David Hicks
Wm Sawyer
Jonas Palestine

1778 Washington Co., NC Tax list returned by Thos Haughton
(List says "Pd. Contra"

*This is a partial list (in exact order), note the consecutive families that all also appear on the 1778 tax list of Wilson's District on Roane Creek.
.
By Edward Briddges (Not on other list)
By John Coward***(James Coward on other list)
By Jesse Vauter(?)(not on other list)
By Timothy Holdway***
By Ezekiel Brown***
Nathaniel Durram***
Samuel Denny***
Leonard Morgan***
Richard Collett***
Elijah Abbott***
Henry Rains***
Elias Lain (Not on other list)
Matthew Arthur (Not on other list)
*Etc. not on other list

1800 Knox Co., Kentucky
May 7
Jess Hawskins
John Hawskins, Sr
John Hawskins, Jr
Ezekial Hawskins
Thos Hawskins

1801 Knox Co., Kentucky
March 13
Thomas Hoskins
Jesse Hoskins
John Hoskins Jr
Ezekial Hoskins
March 14
John Hoskins Sr

1802 Knox Co., Kentucky
June 11
William Collet
June 12
John Hoskins Jr
John Hoskins Sr
June 21
Jesse Hoskins

Knox County, Kentucky Court Order Book A
The Sheriff of Knox County returned his with of Delinquents which being examined and approved of by the Court and being first duly sworn to, is ordered to be Certified to the auditor, and thereto be duly recorded which is in the Words & Figures to wit.
Wm Collett 1 Tithe; 0 Horses; 50 Levy; 0 State Tax
Jesse Hoskins
(44 Total Names)

1803 Knox Co., Kentucky
May 2
Thomas Hoskins
May 3
John Hoskins Sr
John Hoskins Jr

1804 Knox Co., Kentucky
July 10
William Collet
April 20
Thos Hoskins
Ninion Hoskins
May 1
John Hoskins Jr
Ezekiel Hoskins
George Hoskins
John Hoskins Sr
July 27
jesse Hoskins

1805 Knox Co., Kentucky
April 18
William Collet
March 30
John Hoskins
George Hoskins
John Hoskins Sr
John Hoskins Jr
Thomas Hoskins
Josiah Hoskins

1806 Knox Co., Kentucky
May 14
William Collet
May 15
Ninnion Hoskins
May 16
Thomas Hoskins
George Hoskins
John Hoskins
Elijah Hoskins

1807 Knox Co., Kentucky
July 3
Wm Collet
June 6
Ning Hoskins
Thomas Hoskins
July 21
John Hoskin
Josiah Hoskin

1820 Clay County, KY Tax
William Collet 1 White Male 21, 3 Horses/Mares
Samuel Collet 1 White Male 21, 1 Horse/Mare
John Hoskins 1 White Male 21, 1 Horse/Mare
Frankey Hoskins 1 Horse/Mare

1820 Clay County, KY Census
John Hoskins 26-44
William Collett over 45

Harlan County Deeds
Book A page 70

John Davis to Henry Collet - Deed

This indenture made and entered into the 24th day of July 1824 between John Davis of Harlan and State of Kentucky of the one part and Henry Collet of the other part of the said county and state aforesaid Witnesseth that the said John Davis for and in consideration of the sum of fifty dollars to him in hand paid by the said Henry Collet the receipt where of he doth here by acknowledge hath granted, bargained, and sold by these presents doth grant, bargain, and sell unto the said Henry Collet one certain tract or parcel of land lying and being in Harlan County on Cumberland River containing by estimation fifty acres be the same more or less. Beginning as follows to wit. Beginning at Thomas Hoskins ford on Cumberland River. Thence N 20 East with the said line of the original survey. Thence South East with the line to a branch known by the name of John Fults old sugar camp branch. Thence down the branch to the River. Thence up the River with meanders there of to the beginning to have and to hold the said tract of parcel of land with all and singular the appurtenances there unto belonging to the said Henry Collett his heirs and assigns and the said John Davis doth warrant and forever defend the said tract or parcel of land and above mentioned free from claim of him and his heirs and all other persons claiming in and through him. In witness where of I have here unto set my hand and affixed my seal the day and date above written. Signed, sealed, acknowledged in presence of J Speed Smith, James B Dorton, William Green.
John Davis (Seal)

Deed Book A page 87

John Davis to Henry Collett - Deed

This indenture made and entered into the 24th day of July 1824 between John Davis of Harlan and State of Kentucky of the one part and Henry Collet of the other part of the said county and State aforesaid. Witnesseth that the said John Davis for and in consideration of the sum of fifty dollars to him in hand paid by the said Henry Collett the receipt where of he doth here by acknowledging hath granted bargained and sold and by these presents doth grant bargain and sell unto the said Henry Collet one certain tract or parcel of land lying and being in Harlan County on Cumberland River containing by estimation fifty acres be the same more or less beginning as follows to wit. Beginning at Thomas Hoskins ford on Cumberland River, Thence North 20 East with the said line of the original survey. Thence South East with the line to branch known by the name of John Fultz old sugar camp branch. Thence down the branch known to the river. Thence up the river with meanders there of to the beginning to have and to hold the said tract or parcel of land with all and singular the appurtenances. There unto belonging to the said Henry Collet his heirs and assigns and the said John Davis doth warrant and forever defend the said tract or parcel of land and above mentioned free from claim of him and his heirs and all other persons claiming in and through him. In witness where of I have here unto set my hand affixed my seal the day and date above written, signed, sealed, acknowledged in the presence of J Speed Smith, James B Dorton, William Green.
John Davis (Seal)
I do here by certify that the foregoing indenture of bargain and sale from John Davis to Henry Collet was presented to me in my office on the 16th day of August 1824 and acknowledged by two of the subscribing witnesses to be his act and deed and the same is truly admitted to record in the clerks office of the county court afore said. Given under my hand this 17th day of March 1825.
John Noe

Deed Book A Page 195

James Napier to Samuel Collet - Deed

These indentures this day made and entered into between James Napier of the one part and Samuel Collet of the other part boath of the County of Harlan and State of Kentucky. Witnesseth that for and in consideration of the sum of $100 to him in hand paid the receipt where of is here by acknowledged that he the said James Napier doth sell grant bargain and by these presences convey unto the said Samuel Collet fifty acres of land be the same more or less laying on Straight Creek in Harlan County and bound as follows: Beginning on a mulberry and sycamore a conditional line between John Hoskins and Samuel Collet running up said creek to two white oaks standing in a hollow. Thence running North and South to the old line together with all and singular its appurtenances. There unto belonging which I will forever warrant and defend from me and my heirs and from all other persons to Samuel Collet and his heirs forever. In witness where of I have here unto set my hand and seal this 22nd day of May 1827. James Napier (seal)
Attest
H. Branson
I do here by certify that the foregoing indenture of bargain and sale from James Napier to Samuel Collet was presented to me in my office on the 22nd day of May 1827 and acknowledged by the grantor to be his act and deed and the same is truly admitted to record in the clerks office of the County Court afore said Given under my hand this 19th day of June 1827. John Noe D.C.

Deed Book A Page 251

Samuel Collet to Rainey Napier - Deed

This indenture made and entered into this 27th day of October 1828 between Samuel Collet of the one part and Rainey Napier of the other part boath of the County of Harlan and State of Kentucky. Witnesseth that for and in consideration of one hundred dollars to him in hand paid the receipt where of is here by acknowledged that he the said Samuel Collet doth sell grant bargain and by these presents convey unto the said Rainey Napier fifty acres of land be the same more or less lying on Straight Creek in Harlan County and bounded as follows: Beginning on a mulberry and sycamore a conditional line between John Hoskins and Samuel Collet running up said creek to two white oaks standing in a hollow. Thence running North and South to the old line together with all and singular its appurtenances there unto belonging which I will forever warrant and defend from me and my heirs and from all other persons to Rainey Napier and his heirs forever. In witness where of I have here unto set my hand and seal this 27th day of October 1828.
Samuel Collet (seal)
I do have here by certify that the fore going indenture of bargain and sale from Samuel Collet to Rainey Napier was presented to me in my office on the 27th day of October 1828 and acknowledged by the grantor to be his act and deed and the same have been truly admitted to record in the clerks office of the County Court aforesaid. Given under my hand this 5th day of March 1829. John Noe D.C.

1830 Jefferson Co., TN
(in order)
Jesse Campbell
Saml Collet
Rachael Davis (Rachel Hoskins widow of John Davis who sold land in 1824 to Henry Collett in Harlan Co., KY)
Robt Overby
John Callaham
Danl Manor

1830 Clay Co., Kentucky
(In Order)
Elizabeth Collet
Susan Collet
Dillian Asher
Samuel Mosley
Thomas Hendrickson
Thomas Amis
John Asher
John Young
Eprm Pennington
George Chapel
John Hoskins (40-50)

1840 Harlan Co., Kentucky
(in order)
Thomas Hoskins (son of John Hoskins, Sr)
Wilkerson Purcifull
Rachel Davis (Rachel Hoskins, widow of John Davis)

1840 Clay Co., Kentucky
(in order)
Elizabeth Collett (daughter of Wm Collett)
Sarah Collett (daughter of Wm Collett)
William Car
John Sizemore
Samuel Collett