COMPTON-L Archives

Archiver > COMPTON > 2003-04 > 1051025940

From: "Marilyn Platt" <>
Subject: [COMPTON] Re: COMPTON-D Digest V03 #13
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:39:00 +0000

Hello, my name is Marilyn Garrett Platt, and I am new to the list. Thank
you for your welcome - you asked me to introduce myself, and tell you who I
am researching.

Just before 1860, my GG-Grandmother Rebecca Brewer married James E. Compton.
They had two children, James Vandiver Compton and Ida Susan Compton.
James was born about 1860 and Ida Susan was born in 1862.

The following was written about Rebecca and James.

Marion Elizabeth Freeman Henderson, Great-Granddaughter of James E. Compton
wrote this account of James Emerson Compton. I found this in mom's treasures
along with the marriage certificate of Ida Susan Compton. This history
reads: "James Emerson Compton, Pvt., Confederate Army. Died May 10, 1864.
Buried in LaGrange, Georgia. For ninety-seven years the whereabouts of my
great grandfather, James Emerson Compton, remained a mystery. On March 1,
1863 he enlisted as a private, Company G; 16th Regiment, South Carolina
Infantry of the Confederate Army. He left his wife, Rebecca Brewer Compton,
and two small children, Ida Susan and James Vandiver Compton. His last
letter to his wife has been preserved and cherished by members of his
family. Copies have been made available for those interested. When the war
was over and no word came of him or from him, the family presumed he had
been killed in the battle of Vicksburg or died of illness. He mentioned in
his last letter of being ill and was within a few miles of Vicksburg. The U.
S. Government at that time did not notify next of kin as they do now;
therefore, it is presumed his wife did not inquire through the proper
channels about her husband since it was later learned that his entire army
record was recorded in the Archives Department in Washington, D.C. In order
to keep her children and provide for them, Rebecca worked as a housekeeper
for a wealthy German family in Walhalla, South Carolina. She was allowed to
live in the home with her two children, thus they learned to speak German at
an early age. It was not until January, 1960 that I (a great-granddaughter)
became extremely interested in this Confederate Veteran and began searching
for all information available. It was through the South Carolina Archives
department and the National Archives Department in Washington, D. C., that
the full history was revealed. James Emerson Compton had died in LaGrange,
Georgia, May 30, 1864. His entire war record was secured from Washington and
many times he was reported ill. It is believed he died of illness rather
than battle wounds. After much correspondence, it was learned that during
the War Between the States, a hospital was located near LaGrange, Georgia.
The women of this city worked voluntarily as nurses. The hospital was
supported by citizens of the city. It was here that my great-grandfather
died and was buried. LaGrange, Georgia, has taken pride in maintaining their
own Confederate Cemetery. There are three hundred soldiers buried there -
some from northern as well as southern states. Although this cemetery is not
a National Cemetery and does not receive funds for upkeep, it is one of the
beauty spots in Georgia for those who are interested in the history of our
Southland. Each grave is identically marked with a tombstone indicating
name, company, regiment and state. James E. Compton's marker is complete and
the information as to company, regiment and state corresponds to the
information given from the Archives Dept. The citizens of LaGrange furnished
the markers for the three hundred graves. During our visit there, the
caretaker informed us that for many years on Memorial Day the children from
the schools would march to the cemetery and place flowers on every grave.
There is a round open bandstand in the center of the cemetery that is used
by speakers and bands on Memorial Day. My visits to Lagrange and the
satisfaction of knowing the whereabouts of this relative was an experience I
shall never forget." September 11, 1960.

I also have letters that were written during the Civil War from James to his
wife Rebecca and from James's Brother W. B. Compton. I am going to include
these letters because the names have helped me identify the family.
************************
Letter 1:

t is believed this letter was written by a neice of Rebecca Compton, the
wife of James Emerson Compton who was at the time fighting in the Civil War.
James had a brother William who was also in service with him and he is
mentioned in this letter. War records show these two brothers stayed
together through most of the war in the same unit.

"June 1, 1862
Walhalla, South Carolina

My Dearl Loving Aunt:

I seat myself this evening to drop you a few lines to inform you that I am
well at the present time hoping these few lines may find you enjoying the
same like blessings of health. I haven't nothing important to write to you
only hard times here and sorse coming. We received a letter from Unkle
William today. He is gone, Aunt rebecca, to his graves end, and I am afraid
he will never return. Yes poor Billy, he is gone to Mississippi to stay for
awhile. So far away from his native country. It's about one thousand miles
where the cannons loudly rain, the bullets swiftly fly; the drums and pipes
are beating to drown the soldier's cry' and unkle James is in the same
distress. Billy said he saw them as they past by. He said unkle James hated
to start. He said that he said he was leaving home but if it is the will of
God for you and him to meet again, I hope you and him to meet in pleasure
and never part again. Aunt Rebecca, I want you and aunt Sarah and them dear
little children to come out here and live. I don't want you to set there and
greive (sp) yourself to death for it won't mend the matter. Many a poor soul
is left desolate and many more will be. My folks all says howdy to all. I
want you to tell aunt Sarah howdy for me and write soon as you get this.
Excuse writing.
(at top of 2nd page)
Mary Jane, you must write me a letter and send the next time they write you
and Dolpus.
**********************************

Letter 2:

The battle was fought on July 4th, 1863. We do not know what happened to W.
B. Compton, brother of James E., but no records indicated he was killed in
action at Vicksburg, Miss. during that battle they mention in the letter.

"Dier Wife:
It is with the greatest pleasure that a seat myself to let you know that I
am not well now, haven't been in some time but I am with my company yet. I
walked ten miles yesterday but I shall not go no further. I shall stop at a
private home till I get well. It is a place where I will be taken card of
but hope these lines will find you all well and that I have nothing strange
to rite only we are marching on towards Vicksburg. We are in 15 miles of it
and in 12 miles of the yamkeys (Yankees). We will go to them tomorrow. We
are going to Edwards depot. I have just received your ----me great pleasure
to hear that you was all well and faring well. I am sorry to hear of Sissy
being sick. Rebecca, you want to know if I was willing for you to go to stay
with your Mother. If I was you I would stay there awhile for there is a talk
of us coming back in a short time as soon as this fight is over. I think we
will come back. Rebecca, you and Sara must be good to each other and do the
test you can for yourselves till I see you. Tell Sara and all the rest howdy
for me. Let them all read this so no more hurt feelings. Your loving husband
until death, rote by J.E. and W.B. Compton."

James E. Compton died in LaGrange, Georgia, and is buried there.

Letter 3:

July, 1863
Dier Father and Mother, brothers and sisters. It is with the greatest
pleasure that I seat myself to pen you a few lines to let you know that I am
well, hoping these few lines will reach you in due time and find you in the
greatest of health. We are now on the road to Vickburg, it is only fifteen
miles to it. We are getting close to the Yankees. We will go to Edwards
depot tomorrow. We will have to fight next few days and I don't care how
soon for when we ship them I think we will come back to S. C. I want to see
you all the worst in the world. Vandiver, you ought to be here----they make
their fighting whenever they find them.
Father and Mother, I would give anything in the world to be with you and
tell you of my troubles here and something that would make you glad for it
is a great thing to be not afraid to die. So I must come to a close, they
are going to leave James at a man's house where he will be taken care of but
they will not let me stay with him but there is no doubt but he will be
taken care of. So no more but reminding, yours truly.
Yours until death.
rote W. B. Compton.
tell them all howdy."

As you can see, from these letters I have the names James, W. B. and
Vandiver.

On Saturday before Easter, I found these people in Greenville District of
the SC 1850 census.

J. Compton - 55 - Farmer - born in NC
T. Compton - 53 - wife born in SC
B. W. Compton - 24 - laborer - born in SC
Miles Compton - 21 - born in SC
M. Compton - 19 - born in SC - daughter
John Compton - 15 - born in SC
James Compton 13 - born in SC
V. Compton - son 12
Wilson Compton - 10 - born in SC

After finding this family, I decided to look in Ancestry.com to see if
anyone had posted information about this family. Sure enough - there they
were. The father is Rev. Jeremiah Compton and his wife is Tamson Kemp. I
also found their marriage -

Orange County NC Marriage Bonds File contributed for use in USGenWeb
Archives by Betty Mayes

Compton, Jeremiah to Tamson Kemp on 31 Mar. 1819
Bondsman & witness
Wm. Ward [w] Jo. A. Woods

I also found Church records

Peter's Creek Baptist Church
Pickens, South Carolina

Nov 1840

rec'd Jeremiah Compton and his wife by letter
Elizabeth Griffin by experience
Chose Brother ____ as pastor [David Blythe?]

appointed Brothers David Blyth and Jeremiah [Compton] delegates to the
Assoc.

Brother Jeremiah Compton moderator

Rev. Brother Jeremiah Compton Sister Tameon Compton his wife and Sister Mary
Compton theree (sic) applied for Letter of dismishion - granted and Bro.
David Blythe asked to write these letters...

Tamson Compton joined by letter also Mary M. Compton also Jeremiah Compton

Other records are there as well. Jeremiah was ordained and was a preacher
at West Union Baptist Church.

I discovered the father of Jeremiah was Norris and his first wife Mary
Marsh. I found Norris and his third wife living in Greenville District in
the 1850 census. Records from Ancestry.com and from a fellow researcher who
was kind enough to send the ancestry shows that the father of Norris was
Aquilla Compton who was born in England in 1724 and came to America as a
child. I found the following information:

Name: Aquilla COMPTON , Sr
Sex: M
Birth: 1724 in England
Death: 9 NOV 1805 in Orange Co., NC
Military Service: British Officer
Occupation: Farmer 4 5 Residence: BEF 1748 Prince George Co., MD
Residence: BEF 1771 Frederick Co., MD
Residence: 1771 Orange Co., NC
Residence: 1790 Orange District, Orange Co., NC

His plantation in Frederick Co., MD was named "Sierra's Love".

He came to the Colonies (Prince George's County) as a child. Frederick
County was formed from part of Prince George's County in 1748. From there he
moved to Orange Co., NC about 1771.

Marriage 1 Elizabeth Sierra NORRIS b: ABT 1740 in Frederick Co., MD
Married: 1760 in Frederick Co., MD
Children
Mary COMPTON b: 22 MAR 1761 in Frederick Co., MD
Thomas COMPTON b: 12 JAN 1763 in Frederick Co., MD
Elizabeth COMPTON b: 18 FEB 1765 in Frederick Co., MD
William COMPTON b: 21 SEP 1767 in Frederick Co., MD
Aquilla Jr. COMPTON b: 26 AUG 1770 in Frederick Co., MD
Norris COMPTON b: 6 MAY 1773 in Orange Co., NC
Priscilla COMPTON b: 10 JUL 1775 in Orange Co., NC
Erasmus COMPTON b: 8 JAN 1778 in Orange Co., NC
Malinda COMPTON b: 23 JUL 1780 in Orange Co., NC
John COMPTON b: 14 DEC 1782 in Orange Co., NC
Solomon COMPTON b: 8 FEB 1785 in Orange Co., NC
Joseph COMPTON b: 2 APR 1786 in Orange Co., NC
Levy COMPTON b: 10 MAR 1787 in Orange Co., NC
Nancy COMPTON b: 1788 in Orange Co., NC

Sorry to have gone on and on - but I wanted to put this information and if
anyone who has more or different information, I would be most appreciative
if you would sent it to me. I am sure there is information here that others
don't have - and I will be glad to extend the information to include the
descendents of James Emerson Compton and Rebecca Brewer.

Thank you again for your kind welcome, and I look forward to hearing from
you!

Marilyn from NC