COMPUTERS-L Archives

Archiver > COMPUTERS > 2008-02 > 1202524834

From: rachel <>
Subject: Re: [COMPUTERS] Program hangs - fix.
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 02:40:34 +0000 (GMT)

hi Tom,

I am very interesting in knowing the meanings of those settings. Could you point me to a website or explain a bit more in details of what those setting does please.

Kind regards,

Rachel

Tom McCaffrey <> wrote:

For those that are plagued with the message that something is waiting to end
when you shut down and if you are comfortable with making changes to the
registry - this should do the trick.

Go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop.
Double-click AutoEndTasks and change the value from 0 to 1.
Now double-click WaitToKillApp and change the value from 5000 to 1000.
Finally, double-click HungAppTimeout and change the value from 20,000 to
3000.

A log off or restart or reboot is required to set the changes.

This is a bandaid on the problem, but will stop the waiting.

Tom

Please refrain from mentioning specific prices or promoting commercial services in messages to the list.

Mention how your query relates to family research.