COOK-CO-IL-L Archives

Archiver > COOK-CO-IL > 2006-06 > 1149369731

From: Phyllis Nelson <>
Subject: Re: Chicago Blacksmiths
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 16:22:11 -0500

Hi Esther,
My Swedish grandmother's brother also lived in the Bridgeport
neighborhood. He was a blacksmith in Sweden. There were about 20
people who left Sweden on the same boat in October 1879. Most of the
men were blacksmiths in this group and all had the destination of
Chicago. I have been trying to find more information about the foundrys
in the Bridgeport area during this time period. I have not been able to
find any members of this group in the 1880 census. However, I found
other clues that my guy was in Chicago between 1880 and 1900.

When did your Lithuanian grandfather arrive in Chicago?

Phyllis in Kansas

wrote:

> Re: Chicago Blacksmiths
>
> Date:
> Fri, 2 Jun 2006 14:20:47 EDT

> Hi Linda,
>
> My Lithuanian grandfather lived on West 35th Place, in the Bridgeport
> neighborhood of Chicago, and worked for Swift & Company as a blacksmith, located in
> the Union Stockyards on Halsted Street, from 1907 to 1935. I have contacted
> Swift & Company, in order to obtain any copies of work records or any
> information on him, but they no longer have any records. Would anyone know of any
> organizations blacksmiths may have belonged to that may have such records?
>
> Linda, do you know whereabout on Green Street you grandfather lived?
>
> Esther

This thread: