COOKSEY-L Archives

Archiver > COOKSEY > 2000-07 > 0963255423

From: "Carl Brul" <>
Subject: Nancy COOKSEY b 12 Apr 1804, Savannah, Georgia
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 13:57:03 -0500

These are the Cooksey's we are looking for.

First Generation

Nancy COOKSEY was born 12 Apr 1804 in Savannah, Georgia. She died 3 Jul 1876 in Newton County, Mississippi. Nancy married John PARKS Sr, son of Henry PARKS Sr and Martha Pattie JUSTICE, on 1822 in Covington County, Mississippi. John was born 1784 in Wilkes County, Georgia. He died 7 Jan 1857 in Pinckney, Newton, Mississippi.

Second Generation

William COOKSEY was born in Georgia. He died 28 Mar 1828 in Covington County, Georgia. William married Zelphia who died 24 Jun 1857.

Third Generation

William COOKSEY Sr.

The following brief history was provided by an unrelated Cooksey in our area.

The Cooksey name is English. All the Cooksey in America are descended from Sir Walter and Edward I. Hugh Cooksey of Kidderminster, England in the years 1445 and 1146.

The first Cooksey to come to America was one William Cooksey. He came to America in 1619. He settled on the banks of the James River at Edwine, Virginia. At about the time the Pilgrims were wondering if the Mayflower was safe for travel, thirty-one colonists knelt on the sandy back of the James River to off the first Thanksgiving. It was December 14, 1619, and the small band had just arrived in the struggling Colony of Virginia after a two and one half month journey aboard the ship Margaret from Bristol, England. William Cooksey was apparently a member of this group, since it is known that he was on the James River in 1619. Historians believe the settlers commemorated the land again in 1620 - the year the Pilgrims set foot on Plymouth Rock - and again in 1621. Plans for a fourth observation were ended by Chief Opechancanough, when he led an Indian uprising along the James River. William Cooksey survived the uprising and was alive and well in 1625. Further information on William Cooksey has not been obtained.

No information has been found on the Cooksey family between 1626 and 1713

This thread: