COOLEY-L Archives

Archiver > COOLEY > 2006-03 > 1143697706

Subject: Re: Cooley, Winchester VA 1857
Date: 29 Mar 2006 22:48:26 -0700

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/GdJ.2ACEB/1373.1.1

Message Board Post:

I am so glad to hear from you, I hope between the two of us we can unravel some puzzles. Apparently the name Peter Cooley was numerous and common both up north (a book of northern Cooley descendants of a Lieut. Benjamin C.) and down south. I have entered my tree on Rootsweb as anamericanfamily and you can find what I have and notes there. I am searching for the parents of Peter Cooley b abt 1818 VA who married Elizabeth Steele. He was a shoemaker, moved to Catlettsburg KY. In the meantime, this is what I have so far, most of which verified by census or vital records =
These are southern Cooley clans on record but I'm not sure are connected to our line =

1.Peter Cooley, born in England, died in Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia.
Peter Cooley sailed on the ship "Planter" from Port of London to Virginia, Feb. 7-13, 1774; he was a weaver, and was accompanied by his three sons: Peter Jr., age. 18 (b. 1756); John, age. 16 (b. 1758); and Joseph, age. 12 (b. 1760). (N. E. H. & G. R.)

Children:
iPeter Cooley Jr., born ABT 1756 in England, died in Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia.
Never married
iiJohn (James) Cooley, born ABT 1758 in England.
It is said that he moved to Michigan and was the ancestor of the Cooley's raised in that section, among whom were Judge Thomas H. Cooley.
2.iiiJoseph Cooley born ABT 1760.

Second Generation

2. * Joseph Cooley, born ABT 1760 in England, died in Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia.
Served in Revolutionary War for several years
He married Margaret.
Children:
iJames Cooley, born in Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, died in Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia.
died single
iiPeter Cooley.
Moved to Abington, Va.
He married Mary _____. (Mary Powers?)
iiiJoseph Cooley.
Married and died near Winchester, Va.
3.ivDavid Cooley.
4.vSamuel Cooley.
viJackson Cooley.
died single
viiSusan Cooley, born in Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia.
in their later years, they moved to Ohio.
She married John Gordon, married in Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia.
viiiBetsy Cooley.
Moved to Chillicothe, Ohio
She married _____ Morrison.

Third Generation

3.David Cooley.
Moved to Louisville, Kentucky. Became a Judge.

Children:
iJames Cooley.
iiJoseph Cooley.
iiiDavid Cooley.
ivLaura Cooley.
vMary Cooley.

4.Samuel Cooley, born in Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, died 7 Jan 1857 in Warren County, Virginia.
Served in the War of 1812.
He married Frances Barnes, married 19 Sep 1815 in Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, born in Bristol, England.
Frances: Her father died when she was very young, and her mother died when she was five years old. She was reared by her grandmother and when she was older, a family who were coming to Philadelphia from Bristol, England, persuaded her to come with them. Afterward, all moved to Winchester, where she was Married. She had one brother, Benjamin Barnes, who she left in Bristol, England.
Children:
5.iJohn "Jack" William Cooley born 26 Oct 1816.
iiElizabeth Cooley, born in Cedarville, Frederick County, Virginia.
died at five years of age, it is said with a pain in her heel.
6.iiiJoseph Davis Cooley born 7 Jun 1821.
7.ivBenjamin Barnes Cooley born 25 Sep 1823.
vMary Rebecca "Becky" Cooley, born 24 Dec 1824 in Frederick County, Virginia, died 18 Jul 1902 in Warren County, Virginia.3
After Marriage they lived at Belle Grove near Middletown with her brother Benjamin Barnes Cooley.
She married James William Gordon, married 14 Nov 1848 in Warren County, Virginia.
viSarah Jane Cooley, born 1828 in Frederick County, Virginia, died 4 Nov 1906 in Capon Roads, Shenandoah County, Virginia.
Lived at Capon Roads after Marriage.
She married Samuel W. Breedlove, married 24 Nov 1849 in Warren County, Virginia.4
viiElizabeth "Eliza" Ann Cooley, born 1832 in Frederick County, Virginia, died 14 Jan 1909. She married Henry Furlong Wilson, married 26 Jan 1859 in Warren County, Virginia.
Henry: Fought for the Confederacy and was killed during the Civil War.
viiiPeter Franklin Cooley, born 30 Sep 1833 in Warren County, Virginia, died 14 Jul 1901 in Strasburg, Shenandoah County, Virginia, buried in Riverview Cemetery, Strasburg, Virginia.7
They lived between Toms Brook and the Shenandoah River on a farm for a number of years and, after selling their farm, located in Strasburg, Va.
He married Sarah "Sallie" Catherine Smucker, married 16 Mar 1871.
ixDavid S. Cooley, born 1836 in Warren County, Virginia.
died single

My notes = Additionally, there are brothers Peter and Benjamin of Coal Creek, Carroll co, VA, sons of Abraham Cooley b about 1740 England and Sarah Reeder Cooley. Peter b 1778 d 1832 married Mary Hawks (or Hanks), his Will names children Andrew, Harden, Jeffrey, Benjamin, Matilda, Ruth, Elizabeth, Rachel, and Joslyn. Benjamin b 1774 d 1845 married Jane Dickey b 1 Oct 1805 and had eleven children. Carroll county VA is down on NC border by Grayson co and just below Wythe where other Cooleys are located.

Also In Frederick County marriages, 1738-1850, by John Vogt & T. William
Kethley, Jr., FHL # 975.5992 V2v, p.81, the following Peter Cooley/Cooly marriages =
Peter Cooley & Elizabeth Crawford, 2 Feb 1786
Peter Cooly & Eve Short, 12 Jun 1788
Peter Cooly & Sarah Adamson, 11 Apr 1793
Peter Cooley & Mary Powers, 20 Mar 1799
Peter Cooly & Sarah Chapman, 20 Oct 1817

Note in Rootsweb family tree =
"Farmer, cabinet maker, buried Peter Cooley family cemetery, Coal Creek, Va.
Peter's brother Benjamin F. Cooley: Member of first court in
Grayson Cty and later court clerk. Res. Coal Creek, Va., farmer.
member of cty court,carroll Cty (org 1842). member Va legislature
1815, 1817. first sheriff, Carroll cty, Va., clock maker, metal
worker, craftsman. buried Cooley family cemetery, Coal Creek, Va.
Had eleven children, (the other "Virginia Cooleys"). "

LDS website has a Peter Cooley born abt 1788 in Winchester VA

* Frederick County, VA land deed books, 1743-1867, Vol.30,
p.272, FHL #31383, a deed dated 5 Jan 1807 where Peter Cooley
& Sarah his wife and *Joseph Cooley & Margaret his wife are selling land
to a Richard Halliday. Perhaps this Peter and Joseph were brothers.
(Frederick County, Virginia land deeds, Book 62, Page 214, FHL #31399)

There is a Cooley I don't know where to place but I believe belongs in our family tree =

Dorcas Cooley b abt 1815 VA who married 20 May 1832 John Criner b abt 1815, son of Elizabeth Griffey.
Frederick County Marriage Bonds, by Joan D. Hackett & Rebecca D. Good, FHL #975.5992 V2h, p.208
"19 May 1832 John Criner, son of Elizabeth Griffy, & Darcus Cooley. Bondsman, Elizabeth Griffy."
Frederick County, Virginia land deeds, Book 62, Page 214, FHL #31399
"This indenture made the 10th day of January in the year 1834. Between John Criner and Dorcas his wife of Frederick County, Virginia of the one part, and Abraham Miller of the same county and state of the other part. Witnesseth: That the said John Criner and dorcas his wife for and in consideration of the sum of fifty dollars...in hand paid by the said Abraham Miller...confirm unto the said Abraham Miller...certain real estates of which Peter Cooley father of the said Dorcas dec'd siezed, lying in the village of Slab Town (?) in the County of Frederick..."

Frederick County, Virginia land deeds, Book 64, Page 92, FHL #31400
"This indenture made this 4th day of May in the year 1835. Between John Criner and Dorcas his wife of the one part and Abraham Miller of the other part. Witnesseth that the said John Criner and Dorcas his wife for and in consideration of the sum of one hundred dollars...in hand paid by the said Abraham Miller...confirm unto the said Abraham Miller...a certain piece or parcel of land lying in Frederick County containing half an acre more or less being property inherited by the said Dorcus from her father Peter Cooley lying near the town of Winchester..."

Frederick County, Virginia land deeds, Book 65, Page 452, FHL #31401
"This indenture made this 27th day of Dec. 1836. Between John Criner and Dorchus his wife of the one part, I & W.G. Russell of the other part. Witnesseth, That John Criner for and in consideration of five dollars...in hand paid by the said I & W.G. Russell...confirm unto the said I & W.G. Russell...a certain lot of land lying...in the town or village of Slab Town (?)...property of which Peter Cooly dec'd seized..."

Letter from Dorcas Criner transcribed as written .....
Winchester Va April the 12th 1857

dear daughter i now take this opertunity
of aressing you a few lines to let you
know that i am well at present
hoping that you and your little son is
enjoying the same good blesing
you write to and that if you don't go
to the west in such a short time you
will bee up to see mee
that i am most afrade that i will
not get to see you
lizey you must Come up if you
can for i am All most Crazy to see
you i (don't?) hear no more of the
smallpox now the worst of it is over
thare was one Death from it after Cutley
i a was glad to hear that
Peter was well when you heard from
him you must write as oftin as you Can
and i will do the same
i wach the Cax* as regler as a Clock
to see you Come

if you Can Come up and stay
all summer with mee i will
be very glad indeed
your cousin Maria sends her best
love to you and says she would
like vary much to see you and she
says she will write to you as soon
as she Can and you moust do the same
nothing more at present
i remon your Affectionate Mother
till death Dorcus Criner
write soon

NOTE: Chrutley Cooley, age 16, in the Wythe County, VA 1850 census, son of Frances & Sarah Cooley.
* Cax or Cox or Cas or Cos

Curiously, in Winchester, Frederick co VA
the 1850 census lists Dorcas age 51 (b 1799) with John age 35.
the 1860 census lists Dorcas age 45 (b 1815) with John age 45,
the 1870 census has no listing for them anywhere,
the 1880 census lists Dorcas age 85 (b 1797) with John age 75.

COOLEY - STEELE CHRONOLOGY Frederick co Va
1760 a Joseph Cooley b (son of Peter Cooley immigrant 1774)
1774 Aug 3 a Peter Cooley b Va
Unknown date a Joseph Cooley b Va
1786 Feb 2 a Peter Cooley m Elizabeth Crawford
1788 a Peter Cooley b Va
1788 Jun 12 a Peter Cooly m Eve Short
1793 Apr 11 a Peter Cooley m Sarah Adamson
Unknown date a Joseph Cooley m Margaret
1797 Joseph Steele b Va
1799 Mar 20 a Peter Cooley m Mary Powers
1801 Arriett W. (Steele) b Va
1815 Dorcas Cooley born (dtr of a Peter Cooley)
1817 Oct 20 a Peter Cooly m Sarah Chapman
1818 One date for a Peter P. b Va
1825 another date for a Peter P. Cooley b. Va
1826 Benjamin Steele b Va
1829 John W, Steele b Va
1832 May 20 Dorcas m John Criner b abt 1815 Va
(both abt age 17)
1833 Frances & Martha Ann Steele b Va
1835 Elizabeth Davis Steele b Va
1837 Joseph Steele Va
1848 Aug 10 Martha m John Thompson b 1822 Va (M age 15, J age 26)
1849 Martha's son James b Va
1850 Elizabeth living with Martha & family in Berkeley Va
1853 July 11 Peter m Elizabeth Steele
(E age 18, P age 35 or 28)
1854 Feb Norman G. b Va
1857 April 12 Dorcus letter
1859 Mar 10 Charles R. b Ky
1868 Feb (Henry) Harry George b Ky
1872 Zotto b Ky
1874 May 10 May French b WVa
1886 Aug 10 Winchester notice
1895 Nov 13 Elizabeth Cooley died
1896 July 1 Peter P. Cooley bur Dayton Nat. Cem.
1896 July 14 Harry m May French
(H age 28, May age 22)
1897 May 10 Rhoda Elizabeth b Ky
1900 Jan 1 Charles French b - dec 1st Feb 1900

This thread: