COPE-L Archives

Archiver > COPE > 2003-04 > 1049992628

From: Debbie <>
Subject: [COPE-L] Hatton and Wheeldon
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 12:37:08 -0400

These may provide a clue. From New Castle County Land Records:

Deed. Wm. Mullet and Ann his wife, who by the name of Ann England, was
Exec. of the Testament and last Will of Isaac England of New Castle Co.,
yeoman, dec'd., for the sum of 571 pounds, sold unto David Clark of the
county of Kent on Delaware, yeoman, a tract of land. It is part of a
tract called New Bristol, situate on the North side of the Morris'
branch of Appoquinimink, Hundred, containing 402 acres of land, together
with houses and improvements thereon. Whereas WILLIAM HATTON, dec'd. in
his lifetime did purchase of James Harrison, then Steward to the Hon.
Wm. Penn, a tract of land and plantation situate on the north side of
Duck Creek in the Co. of New Castle containing 808 acres. And whereas
sd WILLIAM HATTON in his Last Will and Testament did devise the sd land
to his wife Elizabeth who was afterwards the wife of Philip England, and
his daughter Rebecca, wife of Joseph England, and Martha the wife of
Absolom Cuff. The land eventually reverted to Joseph England and his
wife, and in his Last Will, he devised the land unto Isaac England, his
eldest son. And whereas sd Isaac England in his Last Will did empower
his wife Ann England to convey and make over to David Clark of Kent Co.,
the sd tract of land, part of a tract of land called New Bristol.
Signed: William Mullet, Ann Mullet. Wit: David West. Ack: Aug. Term
1760. Rec: 17-Jul-1761.

My guess is that Houlding became Holden and Whuldon became Wheeldon,
then eventually Weldin. Some Isaac Wheeldon/Joseph Holden listings:

Lease. 20-Apr-1687. Ephriam Herman of Bohemia in Maryland, Gentleman,
to Jos. Allman of Delaware River (DE), planter. Ephriam Herman, for
rents, conditions and services to be well and truly performed by sd
Allman, has granted to Allman all that tract of land commonly called
Second Dennis Point, being bounded by Duck Creek, the north that leads
to the land of Christopher Ellis, now JOSEPH HOLDING's [Holden]
plantation...

Deed. 15-Aug-1699. JOSEPH WHEELDON of ______. Whereas there is a tract
of land containing 220 acres known by the name Dalton lying on the north
side of Blackbird Creek bounded by land of Thomas Snelling formerly
granted by patent dated 25-Mar-1676 by Gov. Edmund Andros to John Barker
formerly of Blackbird Creek and since sold to ISAAC WHEELDON.

Deed. 18-Jun-1698. ISAAC WHEELDON, attorney for JOSEPH HOLDEN of Cape
May in West New Jersey to Jos. Alman of Duck Creek, planter. Isaac
WHEELDON for valuable consideration granted unto Jos. Alman a tract of
land containing 286 acres situate on the south side of Blackbird Creek.

Deed. 25-OCT-1705. Wm. Guest of Red Lyon Creek do assign and make over
to Nicholas HALL upon Geo. Harlan's old plantation in New Castle Co. all
my rights & interest in the with deed. Delivered in the presence of
JOHN HATTON & MARY HATTON.

Deed. 19-Aug-1755. William Griffin and Alexander Chance of Appoquinimink
Hd. in New Castle Co., farmers, for the sum of 170 pounds sold unto
James Martin of same place,yeoman, 2 equal of 5 parts of a tract of land
and plantation situate on the south side of Blackbird Creek, containing
286 acres. Whereas a certain ISAAC WHEELDON was seized of a tract of
land purchased from Joseph HOLDEN, late of Cape May in West New Jersey
in 1695, and in 1698 sd WHEELDON did grant same land unto Joseph Alman,
and sd Alman did grant unto Thomas Graham of same place.

This thread: