CORNISH-GEN-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH-GEN > 1999-06 > 0929179354

From: Richard Bolitho <>
Subject: Re:Pentewan elvan
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 09:22:34 +0000

Addice
Elvan is a south-west English term for "any dyke of granite,microgranite, or
quartz porphery. ... Blue Elvan [which Pentewan elvan probably is] is used for
dolerites or other basic ( or dark intermediate) dyke rocks." [The Penguin
Dictionary of Geology by D.G.A.Whitten with J.R.V.Brooks].
The word originates from the Cornish word for a spark or fire.
The big Penlee Quarry between Newlyn & Mousehole was a source of blue elvan
that used to be used for road construction.
Richard Bolitho
Toronto