CORNISH-GEN-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH-GEN > 2012-11 > 1352768817

From: "Rowena Gough" <>
Subject: [CORNISH-GEN] Richard Pascoe and Edith Halse
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 12:06:57 +1100

Dear All,

The Edward PASCOE I previously posted on, had a brother Richard Harvey
PASCOE, son of Edward PASCOE 1833-1908 and Emily HARVEY 1832-1912.

I'll post separately as I'm searching for his wife.

Richard PASCOE was born 17 Apr 1862 Ludgvan and bapt 17 July 1865 Methodist
Chapel, Ludgvan. He started using the middle name of Harvey in the USA.

Richard PASCOE was a mining engineer and manager, who filled prominent
positions in the mines of the far west US. His last appointment was
Superintendent of Mammoth Mines, Shoshone County, Idaho, where he lost his
life at 47 years, on the night of 26 April 1910, in an avalanche which
overwhelmed his house killing he and his two children, Eddie and Ina. His
wife Edith Pascoe and daughter Katie survived. Richard PASCOE was included
on his parents monumental inscription in St. Neot Cemetery.

There were a number of news stories in north American newspapers that are
available digitally on "Chronicalling America" website - one below at the
bottom of email.

Richard PASCOE married Edith HALSE c.1886. I have not been able to find a
marriage registration - could anyone help with this and also her birth reg.
or even a baptism? I havn't been able to find anything on OPC or FreeBMD
under Halse. Some further info on her and her children below.

The Cornish Global Migration Programme, names Richard Harvey PASCOE's wife
as Edith HALSE, born Gwennap in 1869.

The 1871 Census for Trevarth Village, Gwennap, shows Edith HALSE, 3, born
Gwennap, with parents Richard HALSE 42, b. Gwennap, Miner, Mary, 44, b.
Gwennap, and siblings John, Mary Jane, Catherine, Richard and Eth.
The 1881 Census records the HALSE family in the same location, mother Mary
HALSE is a widow, age 50, Edith is 12, sister Katie is 20, a Tailoress, and
brother Richard is 15, a Tin Miner.

Edith and Richard Harvey PASCOE had three children.
1). Ina PASCOE born c.1887 England - 1910 Idaho
2). Eddie PASCOE born c.1892 Butte, Montana, USA - 1910 Idaho.
3). Katharine J. PASCOE b. 1894 Montana, USA. She married John James LEAN
(b.1892 St. Gluvias) in 1914 in Falmouth, and they had a daughter Ina P.
LEAN, born 1916 Falmouth. 1930 US Census, the LEAN family were in New York,
where he was a secretary to the New York Port Authority.

Back to Edith (nee Halse) Pascoe
In 1904 Edith PASCOE and children arrived Ellis Island on the ship SS St.
Paul, on 4 Aug 1904, from Southampton England (27 July 1904). All noted as
US citizens: Mrs. Edith Pascoe 34, Ina 15, Katie 10 and Eddie 10.

The 1910 US Census lists Edith and Katie PASCOE living in Coeur D'Alene,
Kootenai County, Idaho as boarders: Edith Pasco 41, widow, issue 3 children,
1 living child, born England, parents born England, year emigrated to the
USA 18_5 (unclear), and Katie Pasco, boarder, 17, single, born Montana.
The following year in 1911, Edith PASCOE was back in Cornwall with her
daughter Katie, and were visitors in the home of brother-in-law William
PASCOE, and his family. The 1911 C. shows them in St. Neot, Liskeard,
Cornwall, enumerated as: Edith Pascoe, Sister-in-law, 43, Widow, born
Trevarth, Lanner, Cornwall, U.S.A. Citizen (Visitor); Katie Louisa Pascoe,
Niece, 19, Single, born United States of America, U.S.A. Citizen (Visitor).

Edith is in the 1920 US Census, with her sister in Brooklyn, Kings County,
New York: Edith Pascoe age 50, widowed, occ. general nurse, birthplace Utah,
parents from England. Unable to find her in the 1930 or 1940 US Federal
Census. She is likely to have died in New York, where her daughter's family
was living.

Kind regards to all,
Rowena

The San Francisco Call, Tuesday, March 1, 1910
Avalanches Reported Through Wide Area in Couer d'Alene Mining District.
Spokane, wash., Feb. 28.- Wife Escapes, Husband Killed. "My husband, where
is he?; cried Mrs Pascoe, wife of the dead superintendent of the Strandard
Mine, when rescuers pulled her out of a mangled mass of twisted iron bed
rails under 40 feet of snow at Mace. Only a cast iron bedpost which
protected her saved her from instant death. Her husband, who was sleeping
alongside her, was battered beyond recognition. Three children of the Pascoe
family lost their lives, but little Katie was rescued by a toiling crew of
brawny miners after being wounded on the head by a piece of flying steel.
Mrs. R. H. Pascoe, who was rescued at Mace this morning badly injured,
relates her experiences as follows: "I was sleeping soundly when our house
was struck by the slide. The roar of the avalanche awakened me and I had
just sat up in bed wondering what the noise was when our house was struck. I
was thrown from the bed across the room and the iron bed was hurled on top
of me. I remember nothing after that until rescued." Those who dug Mrs
Pascoe from the ruins of her home found her securely pinned down by the
twisted frame of the iron bed. Her life was probably saved by this
protection.

This thread: