CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 1997-05 > 0864881119

From: Jan Gluyas< >
Subject: SWANKY BEER RECIPE
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 14:15:19 +0930 (CST)

Swanky was always made by the Cornish about 6 weeks before Xmas and was
ready for drinking only the cork was forced out of the bottle.
Here's the recipe
Boil five gallons of water and add 8 oz hops, 4lb brown sugar, 8oz ground
ginger, 4 oz raisins and an ounce of salt.
Boil for 45 minutes, then empty into a vessel and let stand until nearly
cold. Then add two tablespoons of fresh yeast and allow to stand for 15-18
hours. Strain off the liguor and allow it to stand for at least 24 hours
before bottling, making sure the bottles are clean and dry. Into each
bottle put one fresh raisin (to prime the swanky) - then fill and cork,
making sure that each cork is securely tied down.
Swanky is a great "worker" so leave enough room for its head to form. It
is ready for drinking when the head is about to force the cork out of the
bottle.

If I hear that there are minor mystery explosions over the Cornish world I
will know that you are brewing so I'll expect an invite to taste.

Regards from Cornish country 'down under'
Jan

This thread: