CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 1998-09 > 0905134714

From: TREVOR HARVEY <>
Subject: Pronunciation of place names
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 22:18:34 -0400

Message text written by INTERNET:
>I have often wondered what is the correct pronunciation in the
Mount's Bay area of these three place names: Ludgvan, Perranuthnoe, and
Marazion. The tricky bit for me is knowing on what syllable the emphasis
should go in multisyllabic-words. Is there a rule of thumb? <

Trevor (all the best people are called Trevor!)

Ludgvan is pronounced Ludge (to rhyme with fudge) - vun

Perranuthnoe = Perran - uth - no (can't think of any rhymes!)

Marazion = 'Ma' (as in Mother) 'ra' as in bra and 'zion' as in the bible.

The rule with 3 or more syllable words is to emphasise the penultimate
syllable

thus:

perranUTHno and maraZIon

It also works with many 2 syllable words, i.e. the first syllable is the
penultimate,

thus:

LUDGvan

CAMborne