CORNISH-L ArchivesArchiver > CORNISH > 1998-09 > 0905437242
From: "Diane Batten-Strong, C.I.P." <>
Subject: Re: Cornish Surnames
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:20:42 -0400
Hello All: I'm Diane from a cool, crisp early fall day in Ontario, Canada.
Cornish names researching on father's side:
DENNIS (Dinnes): Mathew (1778 St. Clether) wife Ann (1794 Altarnun)- 4x
g-grandparents, their dau. Charry (1827 Altarnun) married
CHAPMAN, William (1812 Gwennap), their son Mathew Dennis (1845
PROUT, Maria Northey (1846 S. Teath), their dau. Mary 1870
Davidstow) married BATTEN, John Horace.
SPEAR: William married
PARDON, Mary - 5x g-grandparents, their dau. Elizabeth (1794)
presumably unmarried, her son Robert Mathew (1803 Altarnun) married
AUNGER, Rebecca (1813 St. Clether), their dau. Rebecca Jane (1841 St.
BATTEN, Richard (elusive bugger!), their son John Horace (1865
Laneast) married CHAPMAN, Mary.
Children of Wm. Chapman and Charry Dennis (in birth order no further info):
- Mathew Dennis (1845 my line), Elizabeth (1847), Mary Ann (1849), Martha
(1852), John (1856), William (1858), Thomas (1860), Charry (1862), Emma
(1865), Joseph (1867) - all children with exception of Joseph born in
Altarnun. Joseph born in St. Clether.
Surname info I have on families of CHAPMAN/PROUT offspring (listed in birth
- Mary m. BATTEN, John Horace (my line, first to emigrate to Canada after
marriage 17/April, 1890)
- Wm. Mathew m. MULES, Annie Elizabeth
- Clara m. TAMBLYN, Wm. (no further info)
- Thomas Henry m. BAIN, Jessie
- Thirza Lillian m. PARSONS, Charles
- Alice m. TAMBLYN, Thomas Cobden
- Beatrice Annie m. TRELEVEN, Joseph Lambert
- Ida Blanche (died in infancy)
- Hettie Augusta (died at age 18)
Surname info I have on SPEAR/AUNGER offspring - very little!- (listed in
- John m. BENEDICT, Mary Emily
- Rebecca - unknown possibly died
- Elizabeth - unmarried in her 30s
- Robert - no wife known, have children
- Rebecca Jane m. BATTEN, Richard (my line)
- Catharine m. FRIEND, John
- Emma m. VIVIAN, George
- Matthew Aunger - unknown
Just sign me: Overwhelmed in Ontario,
Diane Batten-Strong, C.I.P.
other names researching:
Battersby (m. Batten)
Maternal side, elsewhere in U.K: Haynes/Coley (Collie, Colley)/Hatten
Canada: NS - Hunt (originally from England) and PEI - Baker/Myers (Meyers)
|Re: Cornish Surnames by "Diane Batten-Strong, C.I.P." <>|