CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 1998-11 > 0910070601

From: Sandy <>
Subject: Re: CFHS AGM and the Internet
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 21:23:21 -0800 (PST)

Well guys,

You know, all I did was ask some questions (as did others).....I didn't
attack a soul...and yet suddenly some of you SURE do make it feel as if
you're attacking me! *Why* do you react to any questioning as if it's some
form of attack?

Alan....as you say, you *attended* the AGM, as did Alison, who also notes
she uses the CFHS Library (located, of course, IN Truro, where Alison
lives....a bit inconvenient for many of us). Wonderful that you all can do
these things....the internet must not be a particularly necessary tool in
your research of Cornwall.

Please remember that anyone who does not LIVE within proximity of attending
the AGMs has NO vote! (I suspect that pretty well covers the large majority
of those of us on this list.)
You must *attend* the AGM in person in order to vote. Now that's a pretty
significant factor here, especially if your concern is with online
services... which the majority of the voting membership may have no real
need to be concerned with!

Frankly, I can't imagine a better place to discuss the issue of online
services of the Cornwall Family History Society than the ONLINE list of
more than 600 people researching Cornwall!
It provides the perfect opportunity for enabling CFHS to become aware of
the needs and concerns of internet researchers....which I suspect IS a
matter of interest to the society!
David Holman himself tries to peruse our list archives to keep abreast of
the discussions ....he has difficulty remaining subscribed because of the
volume of email. (I can relate <g>).

I've never once indicated anything but support for CFHS....but Alan, your
comment sounds as if you feel the internet is irrelevant to the society!!
If that's the case, why would I, or anyone online, WANT to join? At
present, we have an organization that provides no opportunity for us to
even vote...no online data...no ability to even order *print* publications
online..... Do you not feel it is reasonable to ask what, if any, plans
might be under consideration to address our needs??

I don't think *anyone* has suggested these things be accomplished
overnight! Nor do I think anyone is naive enough to think there aren't
budget matters and other concerns (like copyright) which come into play. I
do think it's reasonable to question what discussions or plans are
ongoing.......or whether the fact that this was NOT a matter on the AGM
agenda reflects there are no discussions or plans ongoing. Is there some
other forum or meeting or other manner of discussion for the membership
about this subject??

Alan, how are you interpreting this increase in membership you
mention...other than "bragging rights" among British Isles FHCs? Certainly
here in the U.S., we've found signicant increases across the board in
memberships in genealogically related societies...but this is more
relfective of the HUGE popularity currently enjoyed by genealogy as a
hobby. In order for the statistics to tell you anything more than this, you
need to analyze them further....how many of your members are "new." What is
your retention rate of members? What percentage of your members are online?
What's the track record for retaining "online" members? The number of
*online* researchers is what's increasing in the world....offline
researchers are DEcreasing in numbers. Somewhere along the line a decision
is made, either actively or by default, to reach out to online researchers
and provide services and encourage their membership in your
organiztion....or to ignore or even shun them.

Yes, David's CFHS web *pageS* (there are multiple, not merely one) ARE
wonderful. I think very highly of David, and of his work. But the site is
designed to serve as a *guide* for research and is not a repository of
data, per se...and I think David would be the first to tell you this.

Meanwhile, people on this list and elsewhere on the net, are busy
transcribing, indexing and uploading data. Suez is doing monument
inscriptions (on her *own* I might add..some of the folks at CFHS have't
been too pleased about this!).....meanwhile, others are uploading parts of
censuses, birth-marriage-death data, STRAYS data, ships passenger lists,
Pigots, etc.

As for me, I'm just *trying* to encourage folks to *also* send their data
to CFHS for inclusion in the society's databases. But increasingly, I'm
hearing "why should I contribute to a database that is not online?"

I simply cannot understand why any of you would consider this topic an
inappropriate thread for this list.....or why you would take such a
knee-jerk defensive position when questions are asked.

Dave Stick, your comment sounded like you've already decided the society
either CANNOT or WILL NOT be concerned with online resarchers! And at the
risk of sounding as rude as you did, yes I am quite prepared to take on
some of this work myself.....although if the society is going to say you
can only help IF you're in Truro, then I'm afraid someone will have to
furnish my plane ticket! (I can arrange accommodations on my own...so
that's no problem).

HOWEVER, if you would like to send me photocopies or even film or fiche of
the Bassett Manorial records, I should be PLEASED to begin transcriptions
for the society *immediately*!;-) I suspect I can even rustle up a few
volunteers to help. And I do not EVEN mind if the society publishes and
sells them...although I think it's only fair I also upload them to the net
if CFHS is not willing or able to do so.

Sandy

This thread: