CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 1998-11 > 0912292508

From: Elizabeth <>
Subject: Re: Etiquette question
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 14:35:08 -0800

At 07:30 AM 11/29/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I am left handed, but when I was growing up we were taught that the fork
goes in the
>left hand and the knife in the right and you do not change them. My
mother was from
>Manchester, England and this is the only way we were aloud to eat at the
table.
> But the explanation of why people eat differently is very interesting.
>Carol

And I agree with your Mum Carol!
My daughter was brought up to eat holding both knive and fork in the
correct hands and I suspect her new daughter will be trained the same way.
Her Australian husband also eats that way. A quick "box o the ears" might
await anyone at my Mother's table who used a fork as though it were a
spoon. :)
There are a few Etiquette Centres near here where Americans actually send
their children to learn table manners and how to use the various pieces of
silverware accompanying a meal. Strangely enough I came across somebody
this morning who did not know what a pastry fork was used for, and another
who did not know about fish service pieces.
Blessings
Liz

GENEALOGY RESEARCH
In Cornwall & Devon
Martin, Cowling, Stanaway, Copplestone, Teague & Wellington
In India - Martin.
|> In Wales |>
/""""\ Davies, Evans, Price and Bevans /""""\

This thread: