CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 1998-11 > 0912353414

From: Carol Hubbard <>
Subject: Re: Etiquette question
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 07:30:14 -0800

I am left handed, but when I was growing up we were taught that the fork goes in the
left hand and the knife in the right and you do not change them. My mother was from
Manchester, England and this is the only way we were aloud to eat at the table.
But the explanation of why people eat differently is very interesting.
Carol

John Zimmerman wrote:

> Hi, Cecily,
>
> Take care. Such an observation may bring flawed results. I use the
> knife in my left hand, holding the food with the fork in my right, but I
> don't do it because I'm European. I do it because I'm left-handed.
> ;^) So are most of my family.
>
> Best regards,
>
> John Zimmerman
> Mesa, Arizona
>
> wrote:
> >
> > Since everyone is planning for the virtual Christmas party and is way off the
> > subject of genealogy, I have a question to ask of my world wide cousins. The
> > other night on TV, I caught the end of a program where a man was explaining
> > why Americans hold their silverware differently than the Europeans do. He
> > said that the American way where one uses the fork in the left hand to hold
> > down the food and then transfers it to the right hand to spear the food is the
> > old fashioned way. In the 1880s European society apparently decided that it
> > was silly to keep transferring the fork from one hand to the other. The
> > Americans stuck to their old ways.
> >
> > I am curious to know which countries use the "American" way and which
> > countries use the "European." This might be an interesting of guessing the
> > nationalities of guests at the Cornish Christmas party.

This thread: