CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 1999-02 > 0918943897

From: "Rick Parsons" <>
Subject: 300 generations of tree!
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 22:11:37 -0000

There is an article in our local free rag (The Bristol Observer) which may
interest you. A history teacher, Adrian Targett, who is an amateur
genealogist, has discovered an ancestor from 3000 years ago. A TV company
were doing a piece on a skeleton dug up from Gough's Cave in Cheddar,
Somerset in 1903. Adrian teaches at a school which is on the site of an old
Saxon settlement nearby, so the producers wanted to link them together. To
do this they encouraged pupils with families who had long family links with
the district to get DNA tests and compare them with DNA from a tooth
belonging to the skeleton. To encourage them, Adrian (of Bristol descent,
not Cheddar) had his done as well.

It transpired that his DNA matched (on his mother's side) but none of the
pupils was close. He now has an ancestor on his tree back 300 generations
but I don't think he hopes to fill in much of the gap - don't we know it's
true.

Cheers,

Rick Parsons

Researching One Name Study R E N O W D E N originating in Cornwall, England.

EMail:
Web Site: http://www.parsons1998.freeserve.co.uk
(with extensive West Penwith, Cornwall resources)
Mail: 18, Brighton Road, Redland, Bristol BS6 6NT, England.
Tel: +(44) 117 974 1288

This thread: