CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 1999-12 > 0944410473

From: <>
Subject: PARTY: Cornish Carols CD
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 11:14:33 EST

Dear List

I don't know whether it can be obtained on the internet (so there may be
little point in telling you this) but there is an excellent CD called "The
Seasons Best" featuring the carols of Thomas Merritt (of Illogan) and Stephen
Nicholas (of North Country) performed by the Holman Climax Choir and Mabe
Ladies Choir. The conductor is Edgar Kessell. the soloist is Arnold Oates,
and the organists are Ernest Green and Agnes Jane.

To me, Christmas isn't Christmas without singing or hearing these carols with
these tunes (particularly While Shepherds Watched, to the tune of Lingham
(which I think actually originated in Dorset, although who told me that I
know not). I was actually in church once at a carol evening (as opposed to
an actual service) when everyone started singing While Shepherds Watched to
the more traditional tune, and someone at the back yelled LINGHAM and
everything stopped and the choir started again with the "right" tune.

The CD was produced by Brio Music in 1996 and it's number is SEND1010.

With best wishes
Alison Stevens, Truro, Cornwall

http://members.aol.com/alisonams/ams_fam.htm
Cornwall FHS #9593

Researching: BREWER (Liskeard area and possibly St Breock), TRATHEN
(Lanlivery/St Blazey area), BECKERLEG (Gwennap area), DUMBLE (St
Neot/Liskeard area)
Struggling with: DAVEY (St Blazey area), TRELOAR (Helston area)
Starting to research: JULEFF (Truro/St Clements), CROWLE (Truro area)

Not researching: STEVENS anywhere in Cornwall (my husband's family originated
in London and in any event I am only back to 1897!!)

This thread: