CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 2001-03 > 0985295871

From: "John Coles" <>
Subject: Re: [CON] Cornish dress
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 21:44:05 -0000

Folks, I'll get back to you all tomorrow on this one...
Kathleen is not far from the truth when she says about the distinctive dress
of the balmaids (the woman and girls who worked on the surface breaking and
sorting tin / copper ore) but there were also the fishwives, who gutted,
salted and barreled the pilchards, or walked many miles with a basket of
fish slung from a hoop around their foreheads. If I can find specific
information on a web site, or otherwise easily available, I'll let you know.

Best wishes, John Coles.