CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 2001-03 > 0985483445

From: "Joan in Colorado" <>
Subject: Re: [CON] National Dress.
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 18:38:19 -0700

I believe it was Warren and Pat who mentioned jeans and t-shirts as
Australian national costume and this would be most appropriate as the
Cornish miners may have invented jeans. Several years ago I went to the
small mining town of Virginia City and it was mentioned on the tour that the
Cornish miners there originally wore plain canvas trousers to work, which
were made by a local tailor. They were not very convenient and they asked
the tailor to put some pockets in the back where they could carry small
tools and to add some metal rivets to strengthen the pocket and other
stress points in the seams. He did as they asked and what we know as jeans
were born. Then a gentleman called Levi Strauss visited Virginia City, saw
what the Cornish miners were wearing and took the idea back to San Francisco
where he produced similar trousers for the miners of the Gold Rush. He
eventually found a better material from France known as 'genes' which in
America became spelled as 'Jeans".

I don't know how accurate the story is, but I definitely believe it!

Best wishes, Joan

This thread: