CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 2001-05 > 0990663552

From: "Colleen Dunk" <>
Subject: [CON] place of birth- wrong?
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 09:49:12 +0930

I have a bit of a problem re a place of birth on the 1871 census. I will
need to give some background in order to explain my problem.

I have been working for some time on my POLLARD family who married into my
MATTHEW family.It was not easy because several people were all born around
what I knew was the year of birth & with the correct Father's name.Because
of other people on the list I thought I had found it via a process of
elimination.
I now found out what I thought was right was wrong. It appears that my
POLLARD family were NOT connected to JEFFREY /JEFFERY after all.
I NOW finally have the correct person because of a link that I was always
sure was to the CARTER family.I have now found the correct POLLARD with
this.

What my problem is - that on the 1871 census this person lists themselves as
being born at Gunwalloe when she HAD to be born at Crowan.

All I really want to ask is DID people sometimes list their place of birth
incorrectly & IF so - how or why ?
Many Thanks
Colleen DUNK - South Australia

This thread: