CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 2002-06 > 1024242155

From: "Kathleen" <>
Subject: Re: [CON] clotted cream and 'lem'
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 11:44:36 -0400

When my mother-- the good German lady taught by my Cornish grandmother---
made scalded cream, she had the gas on soooooo low we weren't allowed to
walk by for fear of causing a draft that might blow the burner out! The milk
came from cows she and my dad raised so they had good quality of milk.
Before they moved to the farm she didn't make scalded cream while the
farmers were going from hay to grass because it 'tainted' the milk if they
switched too quickly. She had two stainless steel bowls which were flat on
the bottom to go on the stove top which were used for no other purpose but
scalded cream. The night before they sat out with a clean linen towel over
them waiting to rise. Then they were brought to a scald and kept there all
day, or until done.

Maybe the difference in taste is the difference between scalding and
clotting?? My father loved his scalded cream, usually on fresh homemade
bread, with jam in season or maple syrup. I must have a 'German tongue'
because I never developed a taste for it, heresy for a Cornish lass!

Has anyone ever heard or used the term 'lem' as in 'He's a Lem' to describe
a naughty but cute little boy? Apparently it is from 'limb (lem) of the
Devil' and was used frequently when speaking of my Great-Uncle Lloyd Roberts
Smitham who was a naughty but cute 'little boy' even into his forties!
...Kathleen
http://freepages.cultures.rootsweb.com/~kernow/kc1.htm

This thread: