CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 2002-11 > 1036772285

Subject: [CON] Re: CORNISH-D Digest V02 #658-American army in CON
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 11:18:05 EST

In a message dated 06/11/02 , Deryck Hannaford

> Oh! They were, they were! I remember as if it were yesterday.
> Convoys of army vehicles used to pass our house in Liskeard Road,
> Callington and my friends and I sat on the banks watching

I had a similar experience with American troops stationed in the St. Austell
area. We lived at London Apprentice on the main road from St. Austell to
Mevagissey. For weeks and weeks vehicles, including amphibeans (DUWK),
travelled the roads to practise loading and unloading on Pentewan beach and
in St. Austell Bay. Then suddenly they left. D-Day had come. Up to then
many of the beaches were mined with explosives and cleared for these final

Bill Stephens CFHS 07217 SOG 20357
>From a rain-sodden Bucks

This thread: