CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 2003-12 > 1070293900

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <>
Subject: Re: [CON] Cornishness
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 15:51:40 +0000 (GMT)

Corinne, if you re-read Carolyn's original message you will note that her grandparents but not her parents were born in Cornwall. She would only be a British Citizen by descent if her parents 'activated' their citizenship via obtaining a passport - otherwise the citizenship is considered to have 'lapsed' and is lost.

Unfortunately as a US Citizen Carolyn is also ineligible for a UK Ancestry Visa because of the Commonwealth citizenship provision. However, I would strongly advise Carolyn to investigate her British citizenship eligibility with her local consulate, who are far more informed than I on such matters.

Kernow bys vyken

Chris Rowland.

Corinne Thompson <> wrote:

Hello Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to clear this up.

I thought that Carolyn would qualify for a British passport as her parents
were British (not under the grandfather rule) . I didn't know that it only
applied to those from Commonwealth countries. Children born to British
Citizens used to be considered "British Citizens", no matter where in the
world they were born.

I am not confusing British Citizenship with that of Ireland ...... my
children's father was an Englishman (who had no connections with Ireland)
and, although born in Australia, my children have British Citizenship. And
they have British passports which they obtained before they left Australia.

Can't remember which year each of them applied for their passports, but it
must have been prior to the rules changing.

When I was young, all Australians were considered British Subjects, but that
rule also changed over the years (certainly before 1981) ...... I think
that England got too many people wanting to settle in England as the Empire
started to break up and had to "close the door" so as to speak.

I can remember some fuss years ago when Australia stopped allowing any
British Subject the automatic right to live and work in Australia.

Kindest Regards ...... Corinne in Melbourne, Australia.

Under the British Nationality Act 1981 the grandchild of a British Citizen
is only entitled to a UK Ancestry Visa, giving them a work permit in the UK
for four years but not British Citizenship. However, at the end of that
period they may apply for Definite Leave to Remain, thence British
Citizenship and thus a British passport. However Carolyn would be ineligible
for a UK Ancestry visa because she is not a Commonwealth citizen,
unfortunately.

British Citizenship enables you to live and work freely in any EEA member
state, viz.

Austria, Belgium, Britain, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece,
Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway,
Portugal, Spain, Sweden.

>From 2004 you can also add Bulgaria, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Hungary,
Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Romania and Slovenia to that
list.

On the grandparent rule Corinne is confusing British citizenship provision
with that of Ireland. Grandparents of persons born in Ireland may apply to
become Irish citizens. The only way grandchildren of British citizens can
obtain a British passport is by the UK Ancestry visa process detailed above.

Kernow bys vyken

Chris Rowland.