CORNISH-L Archives

Archiver > CORNISH > 2006-11 > 1163295619

From: "Sue Given" <>
Subject: [CORNISH] William ANGOVE - Tobacconist
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 12:40:19 +1100

Hi,

I am wondering if someone may be able to help me please with a lookup in some directories (if any) that were available for the 1940s/1950s in Cornwall.

William Angove was born in 1876. Some say he died in the early half of the 1900s, but his granddaughter seems to remember him being talked about after her birth (1936) and that he had a TOBACCONIST shop somewhere. His wife had left him in the early 1900s sometime, so the conversations were remembered because I guess mostly that were not that flattering to William.

Anyway, when William's wife died in 1959 her death certificates says "Widow of William Angove, tobacconist".

So, working between 1936 and 1959 I found the following William Angove's who died in Cornwall. They are listed in order of most closest to correct age taking into account of the 1876 birth.

My request is could someone see if there was a William Angove Tobacconist in any of the towns mentioned.

William J. Angove died Liskeard June 1/4 1944 age 70 - bc 1874
William Angove died St Austell Sept 1/4 1957 age 83 - bc 1874
William J. Angove died Plymouth June 1/4 1956 age 83 - bc 1873
William J. Angove died Falmouth Dec 1/4 1955 age 85 - bc 1870
William Angove died St Austell Sep 1/4 1954 age 87 - bc 1867

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sue in Australia

This thread: